Active kids and jeans/pants - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 02-09-2014, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
My older son wears through his pants like there's no tomorrow. I received a recommendation for Land's End iron knee jeans and pants. I looked at their website and was turned off by the $30 price tag. The website mentions an interior patch. I wonder if I got iron on patches and applied them to whatever new jeans I purchase if that will extend the wear of them. Thoughts?

Anyone had luck with a more economical option for active kids?

Mama to Blake, 5, and Grant, 3
ribbonpb.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 02-09-2014, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

If I remember, I put iron-on patches on the inside of the knees of ds's new pants. I usually put two patches to cover a larger area to allow for shifting while playing and growth. It's not perfect, but it does help.

I Love those double knee Lands End pants, but they are are pricey. Keep your eye out for clearance sales, sometimes a few make it there and then it's more affordable.

#3 of 7 Old 02-09-2014, 07:32 PM

I've tried putting the iron on patches on preventatively, but after a few washes the outline of them is visible on all but the thickest jeans. Ok for play pants but doesnt look right for going out. And eventually the pants tear around the patches. Wish I had a solution too.
#4 of 7 Old 02-09-2014, 09:23 PM

Unfortunately, I found out the only thing that worked for my guy was to spend the money. I spent more up front but was able to pass them down to his brother and some went on down to neighbors. My poor ds2 didn't own his own brand new pants until his brother hit 16ish and stopped growing.
#5 of 7 Old 02-10-2014, 07:01 AM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)

I always had a big problem with this.  I even had a tough time finding used jeans to fit my son because it seems all boys were wearing their jeans out (I also had this problem with my daughters, but I was always able to buy used jeans so it was easy to replace them).  I was lucky to get hand me downs from a friend with an older boy.  I also just realized he would get holes in the knees no matter what the jeans... so I would just buy his jeans from Target.  They were cheaper and lasted just as long.  I also had play jeans and school/go out clothes.  His holey jeans were the ones I encouraged him to get muddy and gross in.  He would usually change after school.  

At 12, he no longer rips holes in the knees of his jeans.  In fact, he keeps his clothes pretty neat now!  If he wants to get messy, he puts on athletic shorts or pants.  

Married, part time work from home mom to DS (13 and homeschooling), DD1 (11) and DD2 (9) and a giant dopey newfoundland, a crazy border collie mix, 3 black cats and a cute rat.
#6 of 7 Old 02-12-2014, 07:03 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

We don't have any such problem here but just wanted to mention that we got one of those iron on patches. It was a letter of the alphabet that we ironed on to dd's shirt where there was a tough stain (in the middle) but the patch didn't work. it shrivelled up in a weird way and i don't know if it was ready to come out before we got rid of the shirt.

Cheerfulness enables us to remember no problem lasts forever ~ Unknown
#7 of 7 Old 02-13-2014, 08:31 AM

I've tried buying more expensive jeans too, and it didn't help. Still only got 4-6 months out of  a pair of pants, Now at 10 its not happening anymore.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page