9yo persistent nose picking - ideas? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-20-2014, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 9yo DS is a constant, persistent nose picker. Particularly his left index finger in his left nostril. I drove on a field trip yesterday and witnessed his finger up his nose for probably 60% of the time. He does it absentmindedly, when he is listening/thinking. I don't think he is totally aware that he does it.

We do know that he has a deviated septum, and that makes his left nostril small and "congested" feeling. So that's definitely a factor. I'm sure that we will ultimately have the septum repaired, but that has to wait for puberty.

This is NOT a new habit. He has done it for as long as I can remember. We tried the "wash your hands" afterward, having a code word to alert him to absentminded behavior, and also having tissues EVERYWHERE. Nothing has worked. His nails are always bloody from the picking. Gross. And increasingly socially inappropriate. I hate to think that he will be "the one" who is the nose picker...

Today, I sent him to school with a big, fat Band-Aid on that one index finger. He was crestfallen. 90% chance he has taken it off/thrown it away by the time I pick him up at school. Sigh.

Anyone else deal with this? Any ideas?
#2 of 5 Old 02-20-2014, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I was going to suggest the Band-aid, but I see you came up with it.

Aside from that, not pointing it out to him too often. Don't draw attention to it if you can avoid it.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#3 of 5 Old 02-20-2014, 02:31 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
It could be an anxiety thing. Doing something absentmindedly like that while you are thinking or observing can be calming. Perhaps he needs to find a way to deal with anxiety that is more acceptable to do in public. Some people bite their nails because of anxiety also. I think they are similar. Be careful that the things you do to try and stop it don't create more anxiety.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#4 of 5 Old 02-20-2014, 03:07 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
For my ds2 it was a sensory/anxiety thing. He would eat it, too. On the bright side, eating boogers is very good for the immune system!

I think one day a peer told him how gross it was and he stopped. He's almost 12 and hasn't done it now for years.
pokeyac likes this.

Bring back the old MDC
#5 of 5 Old 02-21-2014, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for all three posts.

He is an interesting kid -- "unmeasurably high" verbal IQ, coupled with really low processing speed, mild inattentive ADD, and dysgraphia. Oh, and perfect (musical) pitch. I think I am not smart enough to parent him very well, but I try really hard.

That said, I agree that it could be anxiety-related. I certainly struggle with anxiety. He also picks at his fingernails, which I do think is 100% a nervous (anxious) habit. That one has abated a bit in recent years.

I also agree that, ultimately, someone (a peer, or a potential love-interest) is the most likely solution to the problem. I hate for it to come to that, but so it goes. Entering that age where peers have a great deal of influence over things like this...

Again, thank you for reading and replying! If the band-aids work, I'll post back for someone else to benefit!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page