almost 4 year old won't wipe herself - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-28-2004, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Any thoughts on a little girl who not only refuses to wipe herself but blows a gasket when I try to after she pees? She doesn't really have a problem with letting me wipe her after she poops, but the pee thing is huge for her. I guess she doesn't want to take the time, but the resulting struggle and firestorm certainly takes a lot of it! I am willing to let it go, but wonder whether she could get sick (her vulva does seem irritated sometimes) and wonder whether I shouldn't let this one get out of control. Anyone else with this issue out there?

Edie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2004, 08:44 PM

I can't believe I am going to say this, but when I was her age I didn't want to wipe for some reason either. I didn't wipe regularly until I was a bit older and it started to bug me if I didn't. I'd definatly encourage it, but honestly I don't think anything truely bad will come of the not wiping except smell issues- she'll need a daily bath, probably, or at least to use a baby wipe before bed. I'd also try to get creative, asking if she'd rather wipe with kleenex in a cute kleenex box or even maybe pink toilet paper:LOL
Old 04-28-2004, 08:55 PM

I don't think that anything worse than a certain smell would happen because of this. I mean, I know I don't when we are backpacking and such. Boys don't -- which I'm constantly aware of because my DS pulls his pants up way too fast and always has urine on them. The only thing I would say is to make sure she isn't refusing because it hurts, because that probably signals a need for a dr. visit to rule out a UTI or something.

Anyway... If you want to encourage this, maybe she would like some of those baby-wipe-like clothes they sell? Or maybe she has an issue with your TP choice -- it might be worth exploring WHY she doesn't like this. She could be sensitive to fragerance or something in the TP.
Old 04-29-2004, 12:31 AM

me either! Totally embarassed to admit it. I think I was almost in Jr. High before I started to wipe. Geez! I can't believe I admitted that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by momsgotmilk4two
I can't believe I am going to say this, but when I was her age I didn't want to wipe for some reason either. I didn't wipe regularly until I was a bit older and it started to bug me if I didn't. I'd definatly encourage it, but honestly I don't think anything truely bad will come of the not wiping except smell issues- she'll need a daily bath, probably, or at least to use a baby wipe before bed. I'd also try to get creative, asking if she'd rather wipe with kleenex in a cute kleenex box or even maybe pink toilet paper:LOL
Old 04-30-2004, 12:40 AM - Thread Starter

hey thanks! good ideas. edie
Old 04-30-2004, 01:07 AM

My dd(almost 6) just started wiping herself for pee.She still doesn't wipe herself for poop.Her fear is that she will get it on her hand.I think that was her fear for pee too.She used to get irritated as well,and I gently explained that was because she wasn't wiping.I gave her some of her brother's diaper cream to take care of that,and she's been careful since.I've only had to remind her a few times.We are working on wiping after poop,and I know it will only be a matter of time before she does it herself.I keep plenty of flushable wipes and liquid soap available.HTH!

Student mama to one awesome,talented and unique dd,15 and one amazing, sweet and strong ds,12(born with heart defect Tetralogy of Fallot,also on the autism spectrum),9 cats,and 2 gerbils.

User Tag List