How old to move playroom to basement? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-08-2014, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I have twins that turned 3 this past new years and up till now we have devoted the "living room" to them as a playroom. We do not do toys in their bedroom at all. (And family bedroom on and off anyway)

Now we are finally buying a family home and couldn't be more thrilled.
The question is at what age are they ready for a downstairs playroom a level away from the kitchen and office adult areas? I was thinking it was still a little ways off, but arraigning the house and fitting things in with a area on the main floor devoted to them is proving very cluttered and nonsensical and they have a wonderful room downstairs just waiting for them. They have been independent with potty issues for a good while.

The downstairs has their two tiny bedrooms (will be the first time they have had their own rooms) coming off of a large open room and their bathroom, laundry room and the main family garage entrance. So it is far from a out of the way hole and, in reality, a second family hub.
The upstairs has the front door opening to a small living room that you walk through to the open plan space mostly taken up with eat in kitchen/dining/family space and the master bedroom tucked in the back.

So using the living room is problematic as the front door opens to it and we need to make part of it our home office. But the downstairs does not have a direct connection to the kitchen area.

My kids do great independent play and regularly go off together or solo to to do stuff and I think I would keep art stuff in the dinningroom area for supervising.

Will all that in mind and that they will be 3.5 by the time we are fully moved in, how would you decide if your kids were ready for a play room outside of line of sight and a floor away?

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2014, 06:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
I think three is a great age for that as long as the major dangers are locked away still. I loved my dd having her own play space at that age even though we also had a family bed. It helped with independence and gave me space to be alone sometimes.
Old 03-09-2014, 11:40 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I think 3 is fine to have a play area on a separate floor. As long as they are safe, have access to a bathroom, and are somewhat within earshot (via shouting...lol).

We have a 3 floor house, and younger DD began playing upstairs in her room, alone, at about 2.5. At 3, I moved all of the large toys (i.e., giant toy kitchen) to the basement. She wouldn't go down there without her older sister, but they played just fine down there together.

I'm guessing with twins, they will be more willing to leave your side as they'll have each other to play with!

" rel="http://files.mothering.com/images/smilies/familybed2.gif">familybed2.gif  DD1 12/05, DD2 12/08

Computer Engineer- I write better in 1's and 0's. ;-)

User Tag List