Things I Said I Would NEVER Do..... (Let's see how well that turned out...) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-14-2014, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 229 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
A post for all those things you said you'd never do before you had children..... And then reality hit...

For me. I said I would never "let" my children be picky eaters. They eat what was put in front of them and that's that! eyesroll.gif

Married to one of the last good guys left Jim
Mom to AJ 4/07 and Genevieve 5/09

And then: I'm really, really tired of making angels.

But wait, could it really be true?

The whole story at: www.xerxella.blogspot.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2014, 10:18 AM

Mentioned: 209 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
I always said I was not going to let my kid watch tv. Well,with the I pad and "Thomas the train " it is a different story.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:05 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Love this thread.

No Pacifier

No T.V.

No Junk food

No Candy

No saying I Hate You

There must be more but just can't remember them right now.

Cheerfulness enables us to remember no problem lasts forever ~ Unknown
Old 03-17-2014, 11:03 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I was adament that my kids would not watch videos/TV.. I didn't own a TV for over 7 years but did have a laptop- once my eldest was 2 years old, I made a playlist on YouTube of videos for him to watch while I prepared dinner- it was about 30 minutes of mostly ABC's and songs in his minority language. Then I added Thomas the Train to his "approved list" and then Caillou... then we moved in with relatives who had a TV n cable and once his baby brother was born (just before eldest turned 3) he had unrestricted access to Sprout TV

Now, my kids are 6 and it got progressively worse.

At it's worst, which was until a few months ago.. my kids had unrestricted access to my Kindle Fire and would watch it constantly.. and fight so I would set one munchkin up on the kindle and the other on the laptop (in seperate rooms so they didn't disturb each others) and I might be in the living room watching something on TV! 

It took me a little while to realise how horribly out of hand it had become- the Kindle is put away except for specified times. My iPhone is NOT a toy- it is a phone. I don't have any games or apps for the kids OR for me on it. TV is on for news in the mornings and a few shows in the week. Honestly, it's been harder for me than the kids. Their fighting has been greatly reduced with new solid ground rules. I am still trying to wean myself off of computer time. 

Old 03-17-2014, 02:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

In addition to most of the above, I would *never* buy shirts with characters on them for my son.  Until his face lit up so much at a Spiderman t-shirt that a friend had gotten for him, I got a little bit jealous.  *haha*  So, we just have a couple...

And now I have a baby girl - who will *never* play with princess stuff!  *preparing to eat crow*

WOHM to Leo (4/08) reading.gif and enjoying the journey with DH geek.gif

Announcing the arrival of Clara in August 2013! homebirth.jpg

Old 03-17-2014, 02:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
GISDiva- I said the same thing and held out until my eldest was 4 years old and all he wanted in the world was a Spider-Man shirt like all his friends! How funny that it was spider man for your boy too!
I still prefer to limit characters but my kids like them because of the comments they get from friends and even strangers
Old 03-19-2014, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineRocket View Post

GISDiva- I said the same thing and held out until my eldest was 4 years old and all he wanted in the world was a Spider-Man shirt like all his friends! How funny that it was spider man for your boy too!
I still prefer to limit characters but my kids like them because of the comments they get from friends and even strangers

Me too.  Then I saw the absolute joy DS had when he got his first Sesame Street shirt.  It was all down hill from there :) 

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
Old 03-19-2014, 09:41 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Me three. I vowed to not have anything to do with princesses but they first started trickling in as presents from grandparents. I never told them what they should or should not buy except of course if it was something like a dvd not suitable for her age. Then they came from school as birthday giveaways and of course as birthday presents.

Cheerfulness enables us to remember no problem lasts forever ~ Unknown
Old 03-20-2014, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Lol my little girl's NICKNAME is princess, that's how the no princess thing went lol

lovin DH since 1/04, best mom for my 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), one 13 wk (10/13) and 5/15 just your average multigenerational living family!!
Old 05-17-2014, 02:17 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Great question and a great thread!! Oh my, yes, I too thought no TV and NO princess ANYTHING!! My DD is not much of a princess girl but in order to maintain peace and not make a bigger issue, she has acquired (a la grandma) some princess dolls that I am less than thrilled with. I also thought I'd never nag or lose my patience with my children. I used to so judge moms (mostly those I did not know) before I had kids myself, thinking I'd listen more/better and intuitively know what was going on so as to avoid whine-y, tearful (especially public) situations. Ha! Yes well, sleep deprivation, isolation and the constant pushing of a toddler can make the most saintly among us lose her patience and her cool. I now realize these moments do not define who you are and your child's behavior in any given moment is not a direct reflection of your success or failure as a parent. I do try to listen and be gentle, even when it is painfully hard. I also try to let go of these absolutes, like no character items (another NO I had before becoming a mom) and others mentioned here. While I do limit these things, I also know that sometimes making your child really different just makes them feel lonely. And you miss out on that amazing gleeful grin mentioned previously. Letting go and still learning!!

Mama to Little Bean and Baby Bean partner to My Love and loving caretaker to cat.gif dog2.gif and chicken3.gif 

I am a treehugger.gif Mama whocd.gif femalesling.GIFwinner.jpgfamilybed1.gif

Old 05-18-2014, 07:59 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)

I didnt have any preconceived ideas about parenting, because i knew i knew nothing about it.  What i do find, is that i became less musical  after i gave birth. I dont sing to my kids as much as i thought i would, or play them as much music.....

Old 05-20-2014, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceful_mama View Post

Lol my little girl's NICKNAME is princess, that's how the no princess thing went lol

I love that one!

Mine:

Macaroni and cheese in a box...my mom did that too much, but now I do too, once in a while; shrug and say boys will be boys, but I learned sometimes they will be. 

Old 06-02-2014, 07:28 PM

Lunchables
Old 06-02-2014, 07:54 PM

Fruit snacks.....

User Tag List