What are your plans for your child for the summer? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-30-2014, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Dd is 7. Some parents around me are looking for summer camps and activities to enroll their children in. But these are slightly older kids like 9. I am a SAHM. I am not sure if I should just let her have an unstructured time where she can choose fun stuff to do at home or I should put her in something structured. She hates to get up early and most camps begin around school time.

Cheerfulness enables us to remember no problem lasts forever ~ Unknown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2014, 03:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am also a SAHM and my kids will spend most of their summer unstructured. Maybe a camp or two but more waking up late, reading, going to the pool, spending time in nature. My ds thrives with "down time" but my dd and myself need a bit of structure.

Old 03-30-2014, 03:51 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

My 7 year old will continue her 2 day a week for an hour gymnastic program during the summer. We also always do swim lessons two days a week as well in the summer because that is the only time we can. I plan on doing a one week long half a day horse back riding camp but other then that we will just be at home. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
Old 03-30-2014, 04:13 PM

This year is going to more than likely be my last summer as a SAHM so I am thinking I am going to let my ds do whatever he wants, which means lots of staying home. If things move to the next level with my Dp, we may very well be co-habitating by next summer and we will have 4 kids 5 nights a week so I would like to make this last summer before our life changes as fun as possible. I may sign him up for a summer camp, but it depends how my job hunting goes and since we are on a tight budget I can't really afford to spend much on anything for him. I definitely plan to sign him up for 1 session of swim lessons which is 2 weeks. My ex plans to take the kids on a big vacation for 4 days and we always do a huge family camping trip with my extended family, and the local library and city parks/community centers offer some fun activities for free we will likely do as a family. Ds is also in cub scouts so he may do some of their low cost events if he feels like it though i don't think he wants to continue next year so i am not sure yet. anything we do as a family has to be dd friendly as well. I will definitely try to have more playdates with my friend and her 2 sons and daughters because all our kids get along so well. 

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
Old 04-13-2014, 01:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
We're doing Bible school the first week of summer. The rest of the time it will be gymnastics/day-camp 2-3 days a week and stay home with mom and/or dad the rest of the time. I forsee lots of sleepovers and playdates this summer! We may do some museum/pool trips as a family. The kids will also continue with gymnastics team and dance class in the evenings.

Have you checked with the local community centers/nature centers/zoo? There are a ton of 1-5 day 'camps' around here that take all ages and are relatively inexpensive. I just got an email for a local 'space camp' that runs 3 hours, once a week, and does drop in ($7 a day). I know the nature center and community center has something similar. If I wasn't working, we would forgo the gymnastics camp, and sign them up 1 or 2 days at different places.

" rel="http://files.mothering.com/images/smilies/familybed2.gif">familybed2.gif  DD1 12/05, DD2 12/08

Computer Engineer- I write better in 1's and 0's. ;-)
Old 04-13-2014, 05:05 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I will also be off as I teach and since cost is a factor we will be spending most of our time at the beach...We will also do the zoo several times as I have a yearly pass...Happy to have that option...my 6 year old and I will just pretty much relax and chill most of the time...
Old 04-13-2014, 07:38 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I usually put dk in a couple of camps (a week of hockey and a week on a farm), but other than that, just sleeping in, trjps to the beach or to the park, biking and enjoying the summer!

Ds 9 and dd 5
Old 05-11-2014, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I work 9-3 which is great during the school year, but tricky in the summer. My son likes consistency, and yet most camps run 2 weeks at the most. 

My best plan is matching him with friends and interests that he is into, BMX camp, gymnastics camp and then I have 4 more weeks to fill. 

Old 05-11-2014, 03:43 PM

I'm hoping to be traveling a lot this summer and spending as much time with my kids as I can.

Mom to  Rachel 15 Kimberly 12 Chloe 10 and Nathaniel 8
Old 05-12-2014, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2mygirls View Post

I'm hoping to be traveling a lot this summer and spending as much time with my kids as I can.

Sounds nice. I wish I could travel a little bit with dd alone.

Old 05-12-2014, 02:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Dd7 does a couple sports that run year long, so she'll continue those, and do a week of horse day camp as well. The rest is pretty unstructured- a couple trips, lots of pool time and hanging out.
Old 05-12-2014, 06:11 PM

I am looking into vbs programs. One is free and on the last day they rent out the local pool and the families can attend. 

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
Old 05-13-2014, 08:14 AM

We're busy this summer- camps, swim team, vacation with some downtime. I have found that it depends on the child. Mine is an only child- he gets lonely during the summer and will tend to act out. He does find interesting things to do, but is high energy and benefits from a lot of stimulation.

Also, on a more selfish note, camps are quite efficient for science projects, crafts, and other activities that are messy and tend to require a lot of supplies! 

Old 05-13-2014, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamMom View Post

We're busy this summer- camps, swim team, vacation with some downtime. I have found that it depends on the child. Mine is an only child- he gets lonely during the summer and will tend to act out. He does find interesting things to do, but is high energy and benefits from a lot of stimulation.

Also, on a more selfish note, camps are quite efficient for science projects, crafts, and other activities that are messy and tend to require a lot of supplies! 

Thanks. How old is your ds? Mine is an only too. I just wish I could send her somewhere for not all day like the camps but not for an hour either like some craft classes run. I'd prefer something like 3 hrs every day but I guess there isin't that anything in between.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:39 PM

Hi Neera- my DS is seven. I had him home with me most of last summer, and he thought it was a drag. The weather was so hot, and if I couldn't get him some indoor fun somewhere, we ended up stuck in the house. Morning camps are great- we're doing a science camp and several art camps (DS loves art), a sports camp, chess and vacation bible school. Only three of the camps are full day-- the rest are 9-12, with some time off for vacation and several weeks of downtime spread out through the summer.

My DS has a lot of energy and easily starts spinning his wheels at home. We do insist that he find activities for himself of he's bored, but the days are long. I tried to find things that he truly enjoys and/or will help him build some of his skills. The half day camps are ones where he will be mixing with a new set of children. I think the fatigue comes as much from the social aspects (meeting new people, making friends) as the camp activities.

If you have a local rec. center such as the YMCA the camps are reasonably priced and have a variety of options.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:30 AM

My 7 year old has 3 days of sleep away camp and a week of swim day camp.  We have two weeks of "Mom Camp" (i.e. stay home with Mom because camp is so expensive - I'm in NYC) - hanging out, trips to museums, beach, projects at home (she is so excited about this, I think I may have oversold it).  I'm a teacher so I'm very excited about getting some time off to spend with her.  My 3 year old has pre-school all through July but he will be off on Thursdays so those will be our pool/beach days.  Then in August, I visit my parents in Ireland and spend a week camping in Amsterdam and Berlin.  I am really looking forward to summer.

Old 05-31-2014, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. We don't seem to have shorter camps. I have looked at the Y's camps and they are all full day.

User Tag List