Toys for an 8 year old boy! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 04-04-2014, 02:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi,

I'd like toy/activity suggestions for my almost 8 year old boy. Something that he can do by himself when we or his brothers aren't able to interact with him.The restrictions:

-preferably no plastic

-no screen involvement

-should involve solo play (we play tons of games as a family)

-done indoors

I always feel like this kid is bored if he is not allowed to be on a screen. We only allow screen time on the weekends and on long car rides.

I'm already considering doing a full screen detox until he can find his "play" again!

We have legos, zoob, science kits, art materials galore, jigsaw and logic puzzles, books (he is not a fluent reader yet) that are age appropriate for him. We also have schleich figures and castle, playsilks and playstand, and lots of dress up items. That's all I can think of for now.

Thanks!

#2 of 9 Old 04-04-2014, 08:42 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Would you trust him with a knife?  Most kids that age would probably love to get a pocket knife and use it for whittling.  Or how about clay?  Sewing or knitting?  Or a small pet like a mouse that he could take out and handle?

#3 of 9 Old 04-04-2014, 03:54 PM

My 8 yr old plays alone by drawing or lego, and that is pretty much it. He is a huge fan of lego.

#4 of 9 Old 04-04-2014, 03:56 PM

Also builds with straw connectors or crazy forts, but both are plastic. Also likes planks, not sure what they are really called, but they are wood planks that you build with. Now that I think of most independent play that my son does is build things

#5 of 9 Old 04-04-2014, 05:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Onestly, I don't know that ou need,ore stuff. I think if you did the full screen detox he 'would' come up with ways to play by himself. I know that when my kids have too much screen time, nothing else is satisfying. But when there is no screen they easily figure out things to do. Right now my 8 & 10 year olds are making origami things.
#6 of 9 Old 04-04-2014, 05:54 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Magna-Tiles and more MagnaTiles.
#7 of 9 Old 04-05-2014, 07:20 PM

I would encourage making things.  Pipe cleaners and googly eyes and tacky glue and a few old shoeboxes.  He could make some pet rocks and then build houses for them out of cardboard.  DD has been making little pet rock houses for several years and she just made a bunch of pipe cleaner people as well, they are adorable and hilarious.  

#8 of 9 Old 04-06-2014, 05:10 PM

Now this Spirograph Deluxe Design Set is really fun! I've had Juniper thoroughly enjoying herself using it. It's so easy, and you can get him to colour in the designs like Juniper does whose pictures end up stuck on our fridge. Nothing like showing off her artwork! :thumb

#9 of 9 Old 04-07-2014, 04:24 PM

Pieces of wood with hamer, nails and what ever you could trust home with, might work better outside though. My DS still plays setting up elaborate sence with lots of big wooden blocks, people, cars, anything, he makes signs etc, and whole stories with it, he is a bit younger though. He doesn't play well on his own, but can be carried away after I help him along with starting with a story line..... This is the animal rescue station, look this is Barbara she is on lookout for a hurt animal.....look the people are all lined up to see the Mona Lisa ( he build a big art gallery with blocks, then made little picture to tape in, places people inside, parking lot echt, hours of creating)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page