Keeping 3 year old occupied without technology - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 04-20-2014, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Setting up the sand and water table on my sundeck for spring and summer. My downstairs neighbour usually complains due to water dripping because of spillage (sand clogging the water drain, water dripping out slowly). I am desperate to keep ds busy with activities OTHER THAN the Wii and computer. He's on technology way too often.

How else do you keep your 3 y.o. son busy? Dh and I are usually fighting exhaustion and of course take him swimming, to the park, etc. but this is a challenge in our house.

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#2 of 14 Old 04-21-2014, 11:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our 3 yr old girl likes: wooden blocks, painting, play doh, bubbles, riding her bike, chalk, playing lil people, lots of make believe.
Spiderpig likes this.
#3 of 14 Old 04-21-2014, 11:56 AM

My 4 year old girl loves all of the above, plus turning over stones to find wormies. And frogs! Oh, does she giggle!  :bgbounce 

I'm trying to keep Juniper's attention away from technology occupied for as long as possible. This is difficult as all my sisters have computers, iPads etc and their screens are often filled with animal images and bright colours that she would be attracted to.

#4 of 14 Old 04-22-2014, 12:17 AM

I go "Hey you, play with your brother."

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#5 of 14 Old 04-22-2014, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

notes.gif  Great thread idea! I've got the same problem.

How about books, either your own collection or visiting the library for story time and then picking out some reading material?

A car or train wash. Set up a bowl of soapy water and let him wash his toys (my ds LOVES this).

Spiderpig likes this.

tea6.gifcancer-beating wife to caffix.gif DH since 7/4/09, mother to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifDS 5/1/11 + energy.gifDD 8/21/2013

angel1.gif (4/09) angel1.gif (5/12)

#6 of 14 Old 04-22-2014, 12:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

When my son was 3 he enjoyed blocks, wooden trains, arranging game pieces such as checkers on a checkerboard (he was beginning to learn to play games by the rules, but if nobody was available to play with him he'd just play with the pieces), and making pictures with dry beans and glue on cardboard.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#7 of 14 Old 04-22-2014, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamapigeon View Post

notes.gif  Great thread idea! I've got the same problem.

How about books, either your own collection or visiting the library for story time and then picking out some reading material?

A car or train wash. Set up a bowl of soapy water and let him wash his toys (my ds LOVES this).

That's such a brilliant suggestion - letting him wash his toys! I'm sure Juniper will love to. Thank you for that. :)

#8 of 14 Old 04-22-2014, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter

Great ideas. I used to let my dd's paint but have gotten lazy with ds. Just don't want to have to do the clean up and worry about keeping his hands off stuff. LOL  Guess that is something I need to put aside. Thanks for the ideas Mamas!

Today we went for a nice walk in the rain and spent some time on our sundeck. He poured rocks from his sandbox into a bucket of water for 10 minutes. He loved that. :)

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#9 of 14 Old 04-23-2014, 03:36 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Is there a local playgroup you can go to? Sometimes these are in churches or libraries, or sponsored by a local nonprofit. Playgroups were my salvation when my kids were little. Kids were occupied with friends and 'different' toys and moms could chat!!

#10 of 14 Old 04-23-2014, 06:48 PM

A few things that would occupy my son for a while were:

-A large plastic bin filled with dried rice (from Costco) and bowls, spoons, scoops, and measuring cups for filling/pouring. We spread out an old tablecloth and put the rice bin on top of that for easier clean up if there are spills. You could also get little construction vehicles to put in, or little people or animals.

-Making edible "concoctions" - I would get out a muffin tin and fill each spot with a different food (oats, sesame seeds, coconut flakes, cereal, flour, sugar, etc.). Then I'd give him an empty bowl, a spoon, and a measuring cup filled with water. He'd sprinkle some ingredients into the bowl, add some water, stir, taste, add more ingredients, and so on. Also a fun activity to investigate what sinks, what floats, what dissolves, what expands, etc. Just be prepared that you'll likely be asked to do a taste test, so plan out the ingredients you prepare with that in mind ;-)

-Lots of coins and a piggy bank to put them in.

-Making a puffball mountain out of puffballs and glue (on a piece of thick construction paper or poster board).

It's fun to see everyone's ideas!

Spiderpig likes this.
#11 of 14 Old 04-23-2014, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phathui5 View Post

I go "Hey you, play with your brother."

Me too! Except it's go play with your sister!
#12 of 14 Old 04-24-2014, 09:38 AM

Painting with water is fun and less messy than typical paints. Try a cup with a large paintbrush, let him go to town on your deck. A spray bottle with water also would occupy my 3 yo for a while. Washable watercolors are also a less messy painting option. Do you have a mat to put out when he does a messy activity? I got a couple of yards of cheap checkered tablecloth material (the kind that's plasticky on the top and fabric on the other side) from the fabric store and cut it into various sizes appropriate for different activities. It folds up easily, you can pour or shake off excess, and I find it helpful for visually confining the activity to a certain area even when it's on the floor.

Spiderpig likes this.
#13 of 14 Old 04-24-2014, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Shaving cream in the bathtub, dancing music and ribbons, jumping on a mattress on the floor, and Legos and knex kept my dd busy that age. If you have a yard and lawn chairs or a blanket just going outside and setting the boundaries for your child to play in may help, especially if you bring bubbles.
#14 of 14 Old 04-24-2014, 11:13 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Anything that has to do with art like: coloring, glue and glitter, glue and yarn, making a puzzle out of construction paper, making bird feeders out of sticks/ pine cones, playing with shaving cream and its always fun having different color shaving cream.
That's what I can think of at the moment.

luxlove.gif Mommy to my 2 girls 2whistle.gif,joy.gif and 1 little boy thumbsuck.gif.  Wifey to my amazing stillheart.gif husband!  blowkiss.gif Loving my every moment of motherhood! 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page