When to worry about weight of a 7 year old? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 05-02-2014, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

My 7 yo DS is so thin.  He really does look like skin draped over bones with every single bone able to been seen, I swear!  He's got some medical conditions which he's on meds for as well as diet issues (Celiac and allergies). We've been to nutritionist in the past and the solution they had in general was bribing him to take extra bites at meals which I am not about.  He doesn't snack a lot. We don't limit his food (aside from what he just can't have).  His Dr's don't really seem worried and nor have I been in the past but seeing him getting ready for bed last night made me question everything :(

TIA

#2 of 5 Old 05-02-2014, 06:19 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I have had the same issues with my 6 year old...She is gfdfsf and is also apple free...the child hates sugar and chocolate...she eats to live not live to eat...she is tiny and very thin..

What I do to pack some extra weight on her...I am still letting her eat Earth Best Organic Rice baby Cereal with pearsauce mixed in...she LOVES it and will eat it twice a day...the carbs and vitamins seem to help her not look "under nourished" so to speak...so I would find something "fattening" your child LOVES and give him free reign...
#3 of 5 Old 05-04-2014, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks.  Im just trying to figure out if there is a bigger issue or what.  

As for upping intake, it doesn't matter what we put in front of him or how much he loves it.  He regulates it himself no matter what it is 
(which is good in many ways, like I said, the briery thing isn't something I was comfortable with).  I'm just worried about him :(

#4 of 5 Old 05-05-2014, 08:03 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

When I read this, I had a couple of thoughts, which you have probably already considered, but just in case... How long has he been on a diet to address his Celiac diagnosis?  The first thing that comes to mind is that he still has malabsorption issues.  Do you monitor vitamin levels?  Also, if he is having digestive issues, that could impact how much/how often he wants to eat.  Does eating make him feel stressed out?  I'm a skinny Celiac too, and have tried eating 3,000 calories per day, and not gained any weight.  For me, calorie consumption alone does not seem to lead to weight gain, so just pushing more/higher calorie food on him may not make a difference anyhow.  Does he have a good energy level and is he growing taller? 

#5 of 5 Old 05-05-2014, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

He was dx at 3.5 and has been GF since. Vits have been checked and are fine. Energy level isn't an issue, believe me! lol  His growth in hight has finally started up again after a bit of a slump.  He's about average for hight but weight, not so much at all.  He was 80-90% as a baby and slowly started to taper off as a toddler. I assumed it was when he started walking and running around so I didn't question it at all.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page