How many afterschool activities does your child do? - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: How many extracurricular activities does you school-aged child do?
0 4 57.14%
1 6 85.71%
2 9 100.00%
3 1 14.29%
4 1 14.29%
5+ 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 05-10-2014, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)

Just wondering about the range of time kids spend in activities after school/on the weekends. My 1st grader does gymnastics and dance, my kindergartner usually just does gymnastics, but he's doing T-Ball this month, too.

Mom to DD 7 and DS 5.
#2 of 16 Old 05-10-2014, 07:46 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
My first grader does T Ball..she has practice one Night a week and a game one Night each week...
#3 of 16 Old 05-11-2014, 07:39 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

My 5th grader does scouts once a week for about 1.5 hrs, with monthly camping trips, and occasional community service projects. He does a short, non-competitive soccer season once in a while, with one practice a week and one game a week. He sees a tutor once a week. He's done lots of stuff on and off, but not more than two things at a time.

My daughter does gymnastics once a week right now. 

#4 of 16 Old 05-11-2014, 07:45 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Usually just one.

Right now my 4th grade DS does baseball (3x per week), and my kindy DD does gymnastics (1x per week). In the summer they add swimming.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#5 of 16 Old 05-11-2014, 07:47 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

3rd grader does dance, choir,  soccer, chess. Kindergarterner does dance, soccer, and art and chess. I will enroll them in karate  next semester.

#6 of 16 Old 05-11-2014, 09:23 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My dd is in kinder and does tumbling one night a week. She could do more but I haven't let her yet. My 2nd grader does a "club" at school but more than that is too stressful for him, he needs downtime. I don't really count the club since it is a continuation of the school day.

#7 of 16 Old 05-11-2014, 10:26 AM

Second grader does gymnastics 3 nights a week (plus seasonal weekend meets), dance once a week, girl scouts 1-2 times a month after school, and violin lessons once a week after school (only during school year). She also has after school care one night a week at the school. Not really an activity, but a chance to finish up homework or study.

Soon-to-be kinder does gymnastics 2 nights a week and dance 2 nights a week. She'll add once a month girl scouts in a few weeks.

" rel="http://files.mothering.com/images/smilies/familybed2.gif">familybed2.gif  DD1 12/05, DD2 12/08

Computer Engineer- I write better in 1's and 0's. ;-)
#8 of 16 Old 05-12-2014, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Dd7 does equestrian vaulting for two hours once per week, and takes riding lessons on Saturday mornings. Two days a week is enough for us.
#9 of 16 Old 05-13-2014, 10:14 PM

My 13 year old does piano lessons once a week, guitar lessons once a week. She is expected to practice 6 days a week. We have a contract that if she wants lessons I will pay for them but she has to practice. She can back out any time. I don't force the lessons, but neither will I pay for them if she's not doing her part. Next year she will hopefully be in Jazz band and that is 3x a week after school.

My 10 year old does piano once a week and basketball (in season) 2x a week plus games on Saturdays.

I can't imagine doing any more than that-- I'm already very busy with just those activities and normal life.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#10 of 16 Old 05-14-2014, 01:45 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

My 10 year old is currently doing three, swimming lessons, Woodcraft Folk (similar to scouts) and an after school practice for the school football club.

They are all fairly short, and other than the football club (which is straight after school) her brother does the same. That's probably the key for us, I'm OK taking them both to something but it's much more challenging when the other child is  being dragged out on drop off/pick ups or having to sit through their siblings activity.

#11 of 16 Old 05-14-2014, 06:36 PM

Two activities during the school year, hockey and an instrument.
But hockey is twice a week, and so is the instrument (individual and group lesson). This doesn't include tournaments and concerts.
Two activities is plenty for us.

caffix.gif

#12 of 16 Old 05-15-2014, 06:07 AM

1st grader - soccer, piano, art class

Kindergartener - soccer, piano

They will both be joining scouts next year. :)

#13 of 16 Old 05-16-2014, 05:05 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)

DD1- just horseback riding, though she does run her own business with a friend and that takes up time.  

DD2- field hockey once a week (a clinic before the season starts), lacrosse, girl scouts.

DS is homeschooled but he does lacrosse, DJ lessons and a homeschool history class.  

Married, college student, part time work from home mom to DS (12), DD1 (10) and DD2 (9) and a giant dopey newfoundland, a crazy border collie mix, 3 black cats and two rats.
#14 of 16 Old 05-17-2014, 12:39 PM

My kindergartner has been doing gymnastics for awhile and we just started a summer swim team. The swim team is sucking up a lot of my evenings and Saturday mornings, but he's loving it so far.

Ryan 08-28-08  & Julianna 5-3-11
#15 of 16 Old 05-17-2014, 08:25 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

One or nothing. School and homework for school are enough. He likes a lot of down time for his interests (drawing/reading/fantasy play/etc.). I can't even imagine how kids handle the schedules I I hear about. My kids are even tv-free and still never have enough free time.

#16 of 16 Old 05-23-2014, 11:26 AM

2nd grader: scouts and piano. He did 3 last year, he was in a boys choir as well, but 3 was just too much. 

kindergartener: 1, dance. She will start piano this summer and is doing gymnastics for summer instead of dance, but we will keep it to 2 for her in the fall. 

MamaStar to Ox (2006) & LittleFrog (2008)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page