2Likes
  • 1 Post By philomom
  • 1 Post By blessedwithboys

#1 of 10 Old 05-28-2014, 04:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
4 year old ipad junkie

i can not move my boy from playing games on ipad, when i take it from him he is absolutely mad. i tried to switch him to storybooks, but no use and now looking for some good interactive storybooks - any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 05-28-2014, 04:47 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If I could, I would really like to encourage you to help your son ease his dependance on the iPad. Don't make an issue about it, just slowly.wean him. Take him swimming, go for a walk, do things where the iPad.can't.come. soon, the joy of real life will overtake screen time and he so.t.know when he ever had time to play so much on the iPad.
#3 of 10 Old 04-27-2015, 08:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The joy of life includes iPads. We are living in an unprecedented information revolution. Embrace it. Buy another iPad. One for you, one for him.
#4 of 10 Old 05-05-2015, 09:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
No, the Ipad is bad news. Do wean him off it immediately.
blessedwithboys likes this.
#5 of 10 Old 06-07-2015, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest View Post
The joy of life includes iPads. We are living in an unprecedented information revolution. Embrace it. Buy another iPad. One for you, one for him.
Nazsmum likes this.

Bring back the old MDC
#6 of 10 Old 06-13-2015, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'd make him earn the time to use it by doing other things first.
#7 of 10 Old 06-14-2015, 06:34 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
MOving to the Childhood Years as this is not Working Parent specific.

#8 of 10 Old 06-14-2015, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
I would be somewhat anxious about this. Yes, iPads are a joy in life, but to me so are beer, wine, chocolate, and sports on TV. None of these is inherently bad, but if I spent too much of my time (or had spent too much of my childhood) enjoying one my life would suffer. If your son is spending too much time on electronic media, then I'd worry about risks of poor social skills, inability to pay attention to something not screen-based, or obesity. I would exert executive authority and put a time limit on it, hold fast to that limit. I doubt your child is likely, at 4, to become interested in books if he's obsessed with something else more flashy.

My own kids don't have to earn their screen time, but they can lose it with bad behavior. That's worked for us, but I'm sure there are a ton of ways to balance it out.
#9 of 10 Old 06-16-2015, 10:50 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sageowl View Post
I'd make him earn the time to use it by doing other things first.
Agreed! Also, set an allowed amount of time for the iPad. Once the time is up, it gets put away (on top of the fridge at our house), and it's time to find something else to do.
#10 of 10 Old 06-20-2015, 07:08 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I read an article yesterday about a mom who limited her childs iPad usage because she was always crabby when she had to do something else.

She said she had a talk with her daughter about that. She said it worked much like how junk food works for our body. We aren't giving our body the fuel it needs to be happy and healthy. Which is why we shouldn't eat junk food often. And we shouldn't use the iPad so often.

So mom and daughter created two folders on the iPad. One called Brain Food with education apps, and one called Junk Food with fun non-educational apps. If the daughter wanted to play the apps in the junk food folder they set the timer on the iPad and once the timer went off, she had to turn the Ipad off and go do something else.

I haven't tried this yet... but it might be helpful!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page