Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   The Childhood Years (http://www.mothering.com/forum/65-childhood-years/)
-   -   Need bike trailer recommendation (http://www.mothering.com/forum/65-childhood-years/1423354-need-bike-trailer-recommendation.html)

Sneezykids 06-12-2014 10:56 AM

Need bike trailer recommendation

Hi everyone! I need a bike trailer and was hoping to get some good recommendations here. I have a co pilot bike seat but my three year old is approaching the max weight limit on that.

Letitia 06-12-2014 12:51 PM

Did you mean a trail-a-bike recommendation? The wheel/pedal/seat/handlebars that attach to the seat stem of the adult bike?

We have had two Adams trail-a-bike's for I think 3 years now. We bought one new, and picked up the other at a massive used bike sale. No idea how old it is. They are both GREAT. I read reviews of parts falling off REI's Afterburner, but we've had nothing like that happen and I can't imagine what could fall off. They are very sturdy. Also very easy. After you have put the bracket onto the adult bike's seat stem, taking the trail-a-bike off or putting it on takes all of a minute or two. It's incredibly simple.

Both our kids know now to bike now, but they did not when we started using these. Three is old enough, if the kid is tall enough. One thing we did notice is that we could adjust the older one to a shorter leg-length than the newer one. All the kid really has to do is hold onto the handlebars and balance on the bike seat. We still use them because we can go places much more quickly as a family than with the kids on their own bikes. Plus, they love it. It's a time for long conversations and somehow more observations than in the car. Both my kids sometimes like to propel it without the adult pedaling.

They definitely make the bike feel different, but not in a way that makes me feel any more likely to tip over. The bike sways more, but it feels heavier and less likely to go all the way over. Like paddling in a sea kayak vs. a canoe. I worry much more about cars. Ours came with orange flags, and I have covered them with flashing lights for if we ever get stuck out at dusk. We also don't ride anywhere with remotely scary traffic.

I think they're great. The design is so simple it would be really hard to wear one out, and they are really, really fun. You might be able to find one on Craig's list.

Sneezykids 06-12-2014 01:19 PM

I meant the kind you pull behind your own bike that has two wheels and the child sits in it. :smile:

FloridaBorn 06-12-2014 03:05 PM

Burley is a good brand! Have you thought about a cargo bike tho? Madsen and Cetma are great brands if you're interested in something new altogether!

LaughingHyena 06-13-2014 12:00 AM

Our burley d'lite has been great. It's pretty old now, at least 3 owners and 2 of us have used it daily, but it's still in great shape.

I think one of the most important things to look at is the weight, some of the cheaper options I looked at were HEAVY. It's already pretty heavy with a child in, I definitely wanted the trailer itself to be light. I also liked that there is no attachment needed to fit it to the bike, it's easy to swap from mine to DHs without us needing to but extra brackets.

We also have a trailer bike where DS can peddle, it's great for family rides but for the school run I prefer the trailer so I can carry all the stuff. Up to and including DDs guitar and amp, though in fairness without a child in there as well :smile:

Letitia 06-13-2014 03:48 PM

:wink:
Well, I feel a little silly now.

LaughingHyena 06-16-2014 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Letitia (Post 17694898)
:wink:
Well, I feel a little silly now.

I think a lot of the other mums at school think I'm the silly one bringing a guitar by bike.

I liked the look of these, seemed like they would offer a bit more support/containment (we've had a lot of trailer naps) for a younger child but with some of the advantages of the trial a bike too
http://rideweehoo.com/

I've never seen one in person though as I was offered the Burley by a friend at a price I couldn't refuse.