Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Asiago

#1 of 9 Old 06-16-2014, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Siblings sleeping together?

My DD will turn 4 and my DS will be 3.5 (both in July). We have always encouraged sleeping in their own bed/crib/room. DD always says she is scared and hates being alone and has to sleep with the light on. If we try to Co-sleep, she just stays awake. She has a really hard time falling asleep. Our son, is now starting to follow suit. It isn't really bad yet, but last night my DH had to sleep on the floor by my DS mattress. So, we were thinking about sleeping them in the same room. My main concern is my DD. When she falls asleep, she completely crashes. I am worried they will climb into the same bed and she might roll over on him. I am also worried they will wake each other up or keep each other up and it might get worse. Any thoughts or advice on this would be much appreciated!!!

superhero.gifhearts.gifangel1.gif                   flowerkitty.gifdog2.gif dog2.gif             BFPChart2.giffingersx.gifTTC             

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 06-16-2014, 10:02 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
My kids pretty much always sleep in the same bed. DD is 7 and DS is 10. They've never had a problem.
#3 of 9 Old 06-20-2014, 07:07 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My two DDs (almost 4 and 7) sleep together. They do wake each other up sometimes but we may fix that with bunk beds. Overall it works out fine even though DD1 is terrible to share a bed with (think flailing octopus that snores like a wildebeest). I guess DD2 is used to it!
#4 of 9 Old 06-21-2014, 12:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
My kids (DD is 16 months older than DS) have slept in the same room since they stopped sleeping with us. There have been all sorts of arrangements. They rarely sleep in the same bed, but it's happened. Overall, it's a good thing for us, but it's also good to have a place you can remove a kid to if one of them is just having a bad evening. If that happens, our other kid will invariably be sad and lonely, so sometimes one of us stays in their bedroom then. But most nights they both go to sleep just fine in the same room. We recently changed from two toddler beds to bunk beds, which hasn't changed the dynamics really at all.

I'm not saying this from any knowledge base other than my own kids, but I just have had no worry about one of them falling asleep on top of the other and smothering him/her. They've been big enough to move themselves around in the bed for a long, long time.
#5 of 9 Old 06-21-2014, 04:49 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I have read a bit on human behavior from an anthropological standpoint; basically humans rarely sleep alone. From early on, it seems that sleeping with others was the norm (warmth and security) and infants have always slept with mother, then young children with an adult and so on. I would say 'go for it', your children will likely benefit from sleeping along side one another.
#6 of 9 Old 06-24-2014, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you everyone. We will probably try to move forward with this...It's just difficult to imagine in my head. LOL. Mine fight falling asleep, but I hope this helps a bit. A couple of other questions..

Do you put them to bed at the same time, and share the same sleep routine? About what time do you put them to bed? (Ours wake up around 530-630 because both Mom and Dad work). Thanks again!!

superhero.gifhearts.gifangel1.gif                   flowerkitty.gifdog2.gif dog2.gif             BFPChart2.giffingersx.gifTTC             

#7 of 9 Old 06-28-2014, 08:20 AM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
My kids are 7 and 4, almost 5 and yes, they go to bed at the same time. DS reads for awhile and DD has stories read to her. Baby goes to bed with me and DH usually does a bit of in the dark hand holding. They have their own beds but share a room. I see it working another two years or so. DS is still happy with pink sheets and whatnot.
#8 of 9 Old 09-03-2014, 08:37 PM

We have four children. Our oldest sleeps in a top bunk alone but in the same room. Our next two younger ones share the bottom full sized bunk, it does take some time for the two together to calm down. We do a shared bedtime routine, make sure everyone goes to the bathroom, gets a bedtime drink to keep by their beds and have a set time for lights out but door is open. For the past few nights our 2 1/2 year old has been falling asleep with the two on the bottom bunk. When I go to bed I take our two year old to our room to sleep in our original size co-sleeper and she ends up in our bed nursing at some point in the night usually.
#9 of 9 Old 09-07-2014, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
My youngest two (twins, 7 years) each have their own bed in the same room but sleep together about half the time. During the summer it is every night, but during the school year they tend to split up more. They typically go to bed at the same time but get up at different times and that has never been an issue. They've shared a bed off and on like this since birth.

My older two (son 14 and daughter 11) like to sleep in the same room as much as I'll allow, but for them it is a bit like a sleep over and they get very silly and take forever to settle down. She does better sleeping alone and he does better sleeping on my bedroom floor (which we are trying to wean him from!)

Me.  With 1 spouse, 4 kids, 16 chickens, 74 matchbox cars, 968,562+ legos, a dishwasher waiting to be emptied, a washing machine waiting to be filled and a lost cup of tea in the house.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page