road/boat travel with kids - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 06-17-2014, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Exclamation road/boat travel with kids

Hi, my wife and I are taking our 3 girls to P.E.I. in the next couple of weeks (via a 1 hour drive to the ferry, and a 1 hour 20 mins ferry ride), and I'm in much need of some tips for road/boat travel with young kids (Allie is 5, Kay is 3, and Rosa is 5 mos). thanks!

Mellissa, married to DP , proud lesbian mama to 3 jelly babies: DD #1 (5) DD #2 (3) and DD #3 (8 mos) and ?? #4 6 mos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 19 Old 06-18-2014, 02:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
What is PEI???

We have traveled a lot with our (now) 4 year old boy, since he was 4 months old. For the car bring activities. These are some of our favorites:
magnadoodle (they make a small travel version)
Aquadoodle (also in travel fold-up version)
or any of
these  these
water-pen coloring books
or a
magnet travel play set magnet travel play set
(although if you have a baby maybe you want to skip this one unless the older two can keep it far away from her)
or just good old-fashioned pad and colored pencils
I also play children's CDs in the car for long drives

For the baby just bring some smaller toys. I usually buy a new toy or book just for the car/plane/boat and the novelty of that keeps him occupied for awhile.

And of course for everyone bring plenty of sippy cups and snacks. I usually have a separate bag just for snacks when we travel.

We have taken our kid on a ferry too, and the simple excitement of watching the cars get loaded in, and all the goings-on of a boat, plus looking at the ocean and islands was enough to keep him entertained.

Both of those trips sounds pretty short too, less than 2 hours. I think they'll be fine. Have fun!

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
#3 of 19 Old 06-18-2014, 04:50 AM - Thread Starter

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.J. View Post
What is PEI???

We have traveled a lot with our (now) 4 year old boy, since he was 4 months old. For the car bring activities. These are some of our favorites:
magnadoodle (they make a small travel version)
Aquadoodle (also in travel fold-up version)
or any of these water-pen coloring books
or a magnet travel play set (although if you have a baby maybe you want to skip this one unless the older two can keep it far away from her)
or just good old-fashioned pad and colored pencils
I also play children's CDs in the car for long drives

For the baby just bring some smaller toys. I usually buy a new toy or book just for the car/plane/boat and the novelty of that keeps him occupied for awhile.

And of course for everyone bring plenty of sippy cups and snacks. I usually have a separate bag just for snacks when we travel.

We have taken our kid on a ferry too, and the simple excitement of watching the cars get loaded in, and all the goings-on of a boat, plus looking at the ocean and islands was enough to keep him entertained.

Both of those trips sounds pretty short too, less than 2 hours. I think they'll be fine. Have fun!
PEI is short for prince Edward island. sorry I didn't add that! thanks for the tips, but I'm on a tight budget, and I'm trying to not spend more than 5-10 dollars on new toys. thanks!

Mellissa, married to DP , proud lesbian mama to 3 jelly babies: DD #1 (5) DD #2 (3) and DD #3 (8 mos) and ?? #4 6 mos
#4 of 19 Old 06-23-2014, 04:39 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Bump!

30 years old, married to DH , Proud Mommy of DD 1 (22 months), and DD 2 (1 day old) by home water birth , and a CD , breastfeeding beyond infancy , and loving, mommy.
#5 of 19 Old 06-23-2014, 09:24 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
For a short trip I would just pack art stuff, some small toys, water, and snacks. My dd and I sang, I told stories, and participated in games by doing the voice for the character she wanted me to be. Once your on the ferry you probably won't need to do much besides walk around the boat.
#6 of 19 Old 06-24-2014, 04:47 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
There are a couple of nice provincial park beaches right beside the ferry terminal on this side, so you could always plan to let the kids have a good run between the car-ride and lining up for the ferry. If memory serves, the ferry itself is the fun part of the trip.
#7 of 19 Old 06-24-2014, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelsmama View Post
There are a couple of nice provincial park beaches right beside the ferry terminal on this side, so you could always plan to let the kids have a good run between the car-ride and lining up for the ferry. If memory serves, the ferry itself is the fun part of the trip.
we're taking out car on the ferry- also, we're actually going a bit later, so I have more time to plan.

#8 of 19 Old 06-24-2014, 10:04 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3jellybabies View Post
we're taking out car on the ferry- also, we're actually going a bit later, so I have more time to plan.
Yes, but last I checked (which is admittedly a long time ago), you leave your car down bellow and get to wander around the upper decks of the ferry, and watch over the side for jellyfish, etc... it's really the more kid-friendly part of the trip. Waiting in the car-lineup is boooooorrrrrring, and hopefully doesn't take as long as I remember, which is why I suggested a good run first.
#9 of 19 Old 06-24-2014, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelsmama View Post
Yes, but last I checked (which is admittedly a long time ago), you leave your car down bellow and get to wander around the upper decks of the ferry, and watch over the side for jellyfish, etc... it's really the more kid-friendly part of the trip. Waiting in the car-lineup is boooooorrrrrring, and hopefully doesn't take as long as I remember, which is why I suggested a good run first.
I know, but I usually don't get out of the car... maybe I don't get it.

30 years old, married to DH , Proud Mommy of DD 1 (22 months), and DD 2 (1 day old) by home water birth , and a CD , breastfeeding beyond infancy , and loving, mommy.
#10 of 19 Old 06-27-2014, 11:32 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I travelled with my daughter really a long way in a plane with my daughter at 5 months. That's so young any interesting household object she hasn't seen before could probably buy you some time.

If the 3 and 5 year olds haven't been on a ferry before, that's going to be a lot of excitement right there - watching one piece of land fade away and another come into view, watching the process. Is it just you alone or are you with another person?

If you end up staying in the car, we have had best lucks with books on CD or our ipod. Our library loans out both CD's and recorded books for the ipod (they just vanish from the device after 3 weeks). That would be cheap and worth looking into if you have an ipod or CD player. When my son was 3 it was a little tough getting him to listen to the same story for very long, but he seems to have liked the Magic Treehouse series first of all the books that length.

Are you worried about motion sickness? That would be my fear for my daughter and me. If that's been an issue, I would talk to your Ped and at least try one of those accupressure wrist bands.
#11 of 19 Old 06-29-2014, 04:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letitia View Post
I travelled with my daughter really a long way in a plane with my daughter at 5 months. That's so young any interesting household object she hasn't seen before could probably buy you some time.

If the 3 and 5 year olds haven't been on a ferry before, that's going to be a lot of excitement right there - watching one piece of land fade away and another come into view, watching the process. Is it just you alone or are you with another person?

If you end up staying in the car, we have had best lucks with books on CD or our ipod. Our library loans out both CD's and recorded books for the ipod (they just vanish from the device after 3 weeks). That would be cheap and worth looking into if you have an ipod or CD player. When my son was 3 it was a little tough getting him to listen to the same story for very long, but he seems to have liked the Magic Treehouse series first of all the books that length.

Are you worried about motion sickness? That would be my fear for my daughter and me. If that's been an issue, I would talk to your Ped and at least try one of those accupressure wrist bands.
well, motion sickness is a BIG problem with our 5 yr old, and the bracelets don't work. sooo... my wife and I are both going, so it will be easier, and I have a tablet and an ipod.

#12 of 19 Old 06-29-2014, 02:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
We haven't had luck with anything for the motion sickness except helping her go to sleep before it gets too bad. We also always have a change of clothes with us, including an adult shirt. Our Ped has suggested Benadryl as the safest/mildest thing, but we haven't tried it yet. Not really excited about drugs but more than that we keep forgetting to try it on a day we are not traveling and see what it does. Some kids get hyper instead of drowsy.

I have lots of empathy for anyone with motion sickness - it feels awful.
#13 of 19 Old 06-30-2014, 07:47 PM
AAK

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturemama23 View Post
I know, but I usually don't get out of the car... maybe I don't get it.
You will now.

Seriously, get out of the car so the kids can move around and see what they can spot in the water. This doesn't seem like a very long trip in general. You shouldn't need to buy anything extra. The car ride is short, let them out on the ferry, etc. I would caution against packing too many things for amusing them while traveling. In our experience, that just made them less satisfied with what was packed. My girls have always done well with something to color/draw on, and something to look at. If something has too many parts, something will drop. This is a problem for carseat children because they can't retrieve the items. We also like to get a CD or story on CD from the library for the car rides. Now that they are older, my kids also like to bring yarn (for finger knitting).

ETA: just noticed the car sickness thing. I suffer from motion sickness as does one of my daughters. This is another reason to get out of the car during the ferry ride. Moving around helps. Skip the benadryl--my dd can wake up just to throw up. If you are going to try a medication, get one for the motion sickness! I only speak for myself, but using dramamine or bonine is completely worth the normal side effects. Obviously, if you are allergic to it, it wouldn't be worth it. We aren't though, and rely on it if we are taking a long or curvy road trip. You can get non-drowsy, but my dd usually prefers to take the drowsy stuff because the trip is over in a flash if she can sleep with it. A half-dose usually is enough for us.

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 

Last edited by AAK; 06-30-2014 at 07:52 PM.
#14 of 19 Old 06-30-2014, 10:26 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
I don't have much to add that hasn't been said, except that benadryl actually works awesome as an anti nausea medication. It's possible your ped suggested it more for that than as a sleep aid.

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#15 of 19 Old 07-02-2014, 06:03 AM

thanks, AAK. well, 3jelllybabies have you tried Hyland's Homeopathics motion sickness tablets? they are tiny (seriously, pretty small) white pills that dissolve immediately, and taste like sugar. i use them for myself and DD, and my parents used them on me as a kid. i buy them @ superstore, in the natural foods isle.

#16 of 19 Old 07-02-2014, 08:18 AM
AAK

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
thanks, AAK. well, 3jelllybabies have you tried Hyland's Homeopathics motion sickness tablets? they are tiny (seriously, pretty small) white pills that dissolve immediately, and taste like sugar. i use them for myself and DD, and my parents used them on me as a kid. i buy them @ superstore, in the natural foods isle.
I didn't even realize that Hyland's made one. I think I will try those on our next trip. If they work for me, I will try them on dd too.

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#17 of 19 Old 07-03-2014, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
cool! i use their teething tablets, so i will try!

#18 of 19 Old 07-09-2014, 12:02 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Maybe you've already had your trip, but I just found this and thought of this thread:

http://www.pinterest.com/LalyMom/kid...ip-activities/

Maybe you can find something there too. Have a great trip!

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
#19 of 19 Old 07-09-2014, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We just went on a ferry and I felt sick as well as my daughter. Now I know we do. This month we are going on a ferry to Vancouver Island so I am going to grab those Hyland sickness tablets! Thanks!
I also noticed that if you stay up top it is better. I went down below to look at the boat and that is when the sickness set in.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page