Nosebleeds - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-27-2014, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Nosebleeds

My DS (3.5yrs) has never had a single nosebleed until about a month ago, and now he has had four, only one if which caused by a bump to his face from a fall, the other three were spontaneous. Is this a worry? Can anyone enlighten me to a possible cause? I don't worry about his health or diet usually, but this has thrown me. Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2014, 03:57 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Does anybody else in his family go through periods of frequent nosebleeds? If he has a couple relatives who do, then I wouldn't worry (although it wouldn't hurt to discuss it with your family doctor anyway).
Old 07-27-2014, 05:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
How has his immune response been lately? More illnesses than usual? I would look into his platelet count and IgA, maybe something has changed recently in his CBC and immune response.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
What is the climate like where you are? Nosebleeds happen more frequently when it is dry. So if it is drier where you live than normal, that might be a reason for the sudden increase.

Mom to DD 8 and DS 6.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:42 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
I have observed children getting more nosebleeds when they are in a big growth spurt, when dehydrated, and when the seasons are changing. Could any of these things apply to your kiddo? Vitamins A and D3 seem to be helpful. Also, gently swabbing of the inner nostril with sesame or olive oil to keep those tissues lubricated.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Thanks for your replies
@rachelsmama I don't think so but il ask around. He is only grandchild on both sides so there isn't any 'recent' family history to look into so I hadn't thought of it being something in the family.

@Asiago he is never poorly, but it is interesting you mentioned immune responses because he does haves severe (anaphylactic) food allergy. Can you elaborate? Are you thinking along the lines of hay fever? He doesn't gave the classic runny eyes and sneezing/runny nose.

@wildlupine and @OrmEmbar we are at the beginning of what is shaping up to be a hot hot summer, I'm going to take on board your suggestions that it may be linked to dehydration /dry air. Thanks all
Old 07-28-2014, 06:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Alittlemischief, there is something called idiopathic (basically unknown cause) thombocytopenia (low platelet count). It can be auto immune or of just unknown origin. Nosebleeds, easy bruising, a lot of bleeding during dental work, and for women, very heavy menstrual periods. It may be temporary or chronic. "Many times, it manifests as an acute disease, lasting a few weeks and then clearing up completely. It might recur again later after another viral infection or with reactivation of a chronic virus, but eventually it ceases to be a problem in the majority of children who experience it. "
http://www.itmonline.org/arts/itp.htm

Was the bump on the face the first nosebleed?

User Tag List