Any natural ways to boost melatonin in children? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-31-2014, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Any natural ways to boost melatonin in children?

I was wondering if there are any natural ways of boosting melatonin production in a child without giving it as a supplement.

My 5 1/2 year old daughter has had sleep issues from day 1. She just can't seem to settle into sleep even when she is very tired. From the time she was an infant it would take me an average of 45 to get her to sleep every single time, and often times much longer.

Now it still takes me about 30-45 min each night to get her to sleep even when she is obviously tired.

We have tried so many things - magnesium, essential oils, bedtime routines, earlier bedtime, later bedtimes, lullaby CDs, noise machines, etc etc etc

We just traveled across 7 time zones so I decided to give her a small dose of melatonin last night and tonight to help her adjust, so I gave her .5 mg. She was asleep in less than 5 minutes. that NEVER happens, even when she is exhausted.

I am truly amazed, but reading through a few things I am concerned about giving it to her long term.

It makes me wonder if for some reason her body is just not producing enough melatonin naturally for her to fall asleep easily.

I don't like just giving a supplement to treat the symptoms without addressing the cause.

Is there any way to help her body produce more melatonin without supplementing?

I have to say I am concerned about how well it worked because I really want to give it to her every night - as any parent of a difficult sleeper knows, I have spent several months of my life just trying to help my girl sleep! And to have her asleep in 5 minutes was absolutely exhilarating. However I am not sure if it is in her best interest to use it all the time.

A friend of mine said she gives it to her daughter once every week or two just to "reset" her system.

Any thoughts?

Loving wife to DH and buddamomimg1.pngmama to DD (11/08) and DS (2/12)

#2 of 4 Old 07-31-2014, 06:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Subbing. The only thing that gets my 3 year old to sleep before 11 (or later, even when he's crying, "Mommy, sleep, I need sleep!") is Melatonin, but it's not something I'm comfortable giving long term, either.

I pray for the day Family Court recognizes that CHILDREN have rights, parents only have PRIVILEGES.  Only then, will I know my child is safe.
#3 of 4 Old 08-01-2014, 06:27 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Sorry, I don't have any help but dd takes about the same time to fall off to sleep and I have always considered it normal.
#4 of 4 Old 08-01-2014, 07:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Mother of a narcoleptic here!

Early morning sun exposure, consistent routines for bed time and wake up time, and sour cherries. The HFS sells it in concentrate form. HTH!

Bring back the old MDC

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page