How are babies made? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-01-2014, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How are babies made?

So my son (5) is been asking me a lot of questions lately of how babies come out of the female parts, I have told him and even let him watch some beautiful birth videos. He has known for a long time that the dad has seeds and the mom and egg and they make the baby together. He also knew his testicles hold his seeds and when he is an adult and chooses to have a baby he will use those. yesterday he finally asked the big question starting with: "I have a bit of a tricky question, but how does the daddy seed get into the mama's uterus?" I always have believed in telling the truth in a simple but correct matter. So in short simple words I told him how it's done. I'm feeling there is going to be more questions soon. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to say about love making. I know there are lots of books around, but they seem hit and miss. Any suggestions especially ones that might in simple language talk about the feeling side as well as the mechanical side of sex. So just stick for now with we only do it to make a baby?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 08-01-2014, 11:48 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I teach OWL (Our Whole Lives), "age-appropriate whole life sexuality education" designed by/for Unitarian Universalist and United Church of Christ congregations. (Note, it doesn't typically have religious content, but was designed partially in response to religious abstinence-only programs. You can check out the UU website for more information, if you'd like to learn more: http://www.uua.org/re/owl/.) It's "sexuality" rather than "sex" education because it includes the feeling parts of sex/relationships. We start with a K-1 program, so your son is right at the age range.

Anyway, that was a lot of background to say that the book we use as supplementary material with the K-1 class is called "It's So Amazing" (
Amazon Amazon
). It's technically for ages 7-10, but was very appropriate for the 5-6 year olds in my last K-1 OWL class. In the same series, there is a book that's supposed to be for younger kids (ages 4-8) called "It's Not the Stork" (
Amazon Amazon
) and one for older kids (ages 10+) (
Amazon Amazon
), which is the main supplemental text for the Grade 5-6 OWL.

36, hoping to have a new member of the family in 2015, to join my queer clan: Me , Things 1&2 , my long-distance KD/cheerleader (the guy who's been telling everyone what a great mom I'm going to be) , and the rest of the superheroes and sidekicks .
#3 of 5 Old 08-01-2014, 01:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
The book referenced above, It's so Amazing, is really good.

When my kids asked "the big question" I told them that the penis goes in the vagina. That information held them for YEARS. They had figured out the baby part, and they didn't ask or seem ready for the more complex information about sexual dynamics and relationships for a long time. May be around 9 or 10.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#4 of 5 Old 08-06-2014, 09:47 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda on the move View Post
The book referenced above, It's so Amazing, is really good.

When my kids asked "the big question" I told them that the penis goes in the vagina. That information held them for YEARS.
I don't know why but that totally made me LOL!

Thanks for the book recs!

Loving mama to Aden (8/5/2010) and DSD (15).
#5 of 5 Old 08-08-2014, 07:57 AM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
My mom told me (and my siblings) that the penis went in the vagina, and that's how the sperm find the egg. It wasn't until I was like 11 and my mom gave me a really comprehensive book about puberty, which included diagrams of sex and erect penises, that I ever even thought of anything beyond "the penis goes in the vagina."

I've thought a lot about this, even though DS hasn't asked the big question. I don't want to lie, so I will probably not tell him that sex is just for making babies, that people do it just because it's fun and feels good. I also probably won't tell him it's only for people who love each other, because love, lust, and sex already tend to get all mixed up with teenagers - I want to have sex with this person, therefore I love them; I had sex with this person, therefore I must love them; I love this person, therefore I should have sex with them. I mean, the real ins and outs of the emotional side of sex will obviously wait until he can comprehend it.

I'm really interested in checking out those books and the UU curriculum!

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page