Co-sleeping 6yo, how can I encourage him to sleep in his own bed? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-31-2002, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 6yo has co-slept with us off and on his whole life, but right now, I am 34 weeks pregnant, and the bed is getting VERY cramped. Any ideas on how to encourage him to sleep in his own bed(or at least not in our bed)? I can't keep moving out to the couch, I don't sleep well out there, and comfort is also an issue right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2002, 07:17 PM

What about a mattress beside your bed? Our 2nd child slept with us until I was *very* pregnant with #3. (He was 5 1/2 at the time). We moved him to a twin mattress beside our bed.

He just turned 8 and he sleeps in his own room about 50% of the time and in our room on the floor mattress the other 50%.
Old 05-31-2002, 07:19 PM

Do you have any other children or is this baby number 2? I like to transition my kids out by having them sleep with a sibling. If there is no sibling right now then I would go with the mattress by the bed idea. I've also done that. It has worked well.

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

Old 05-31-2002, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

This baby is #2, so he doesn't have any siblings yet. Our bedroom is quite small, so I don't think moving his mattress into our room will work. I may try a sleeping bag though. I hate that I feel like I'm kicking him out of the bed, but like I said, comfort has become a problem for me lately(the baby dropped a few days ago, so I have alot of pressure in the pelvic area, and can only sleep a certain way, with a body pillow, otherwise it hurts)
Old 05-31-2002, 07:33 PM

I should have added that you shouldn't feel bad. I know how that goes. Maybe try a baby crib mattress. That's actually what we have done since our room is really small too. He's 6 so he should understand a little bit. I find that once the babies come and start crying at night the other kids scurry to their own beds!

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

Old 05-31-2002, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

Well we don't have a crib yet(we're going to be using the bassinet feature on our Pack N play for when the baby isn't in our bed, at least for the first few months) but I could see if he'd sleep on the mat from the pack n play. I do happen to have an extra mat too(I volunteer at a thrift store, and a Pack n Play came in broken, but I kept the mat for personal home use) so that may be our best option. Now..to actually fold and put away all the clothes that are sitting in baskets in the bedroom, so there's room on the floor for him. LOL
Old 05-31-2002, 08:43 PM

LOL! That was always my hardest problem too! The laundry! We didn't have cribs either but I just got a crib mattress at a garage sale. I'll bet the pack and play mat will work just fine!

User Tag List