balance bikes for older children question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

#1 of 6 Old 08-18-2014, 02:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
balance bikes for older children question

DS is coming up to 8, and not yet able to ride. He has some special needs which mean I suspect he's not likely to get the hang of it any time soon either.

For family bike rides we use a tag a long but I'm looking for something he can use independently. Lots of the local children are out on their bikes and he's getting left behind.

My searching has thrown up a couple of balance bikes for older children, the go glider and the super strider.

Has anyone tried either of these, how did it work for you DC?

How have other children reacted? DS will no longer ride his bike with training wheels after comments about it being a baby bike.

It looks like we would have to import one into the UK as nowhere has them in stock, so I;m trying to gather as much info before I take the plunge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 08-18-2014, 04:58 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
What about just taking the pedals off of his bike current bike and making sure the seat is low enough to use as a balance bike? It would be less conspicuous, and less expensive, than importing a special bike.
#3 of 6 Old 08-18-2014, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
What about just taking the pedals off of his bike current bike and making sure the seat is low enough to use as a balance bike? It would be less conspicuous, and less expensive, than importing a special bike.
That's what he's using at the moment. It does look a little odd without the peddles, which I suspect is bothering him, it's also fairly heavy bike and I think that is making it difficult for him.

The main reason I'm looking though is that even as a balance bike it's really too small so we're looking at buying something, I just don't know what. There isn't much difference in cost between a very lightweight kids bike or the balance bike and since it looks like he may well use it for a long time I wondering if it's worth the hassle to get the real thing.
#4 of 6 Old 09-08-2014, 03:59 AM - Thread Starter

A quick update.

I found a suitable balance bike (go glider) for sale locally, so the decision was made. The family had used it for about 3 weeks for each child before they moved to a pedal bike so it's in great condition.

The best bit is that DS is really happy with it. It's still going to take time for him to get the hang of it but we've been to the local park and he's getting the hang of gliding down the slopes. He still has a bit of trouble coordinating his legs to get it moving fast enough to glide on the flat, but then it's only been a week

The best it is he doesn't seem embarrassed by it and seems to be enjoying himself.
#5 of 6 Old 09-08-2014, 09:42 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughingHyena View Post
The best it is he doesn't seem embarrassed by it and seems to be enjoying himself.
This is great!
I was going to suggest that getting a balance bike might make sense since it's designed not to have wheels and so it's special and doesn't look like it's weird or missing anything, the way a regular bike without wheels would look. Plus, it will be lighter weight and thus easier to move.

We absolutely LOVE Strider bikes. Here's a cute video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IoALHl1Lp4
#6 of 6 Old 09-08-2014, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial-mom View Post
This is great!
I was going to suggest that getting a balance bike might make sense since it's designed not to have wheels and so it's special and doesn't look like it's weird or missing anything, the way a regular bike without wheels would look. Plus, it will be lighter weight and thus easier to move.

We absolutely LOVE Strider bikes. Here's a cute video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IoALHl1Lp4
That was one of the video clips that convinced me we needed one

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page