DDS says 7 yo has a frenulum problem - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-19-2014, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
DDS says 7 yo has a frenulum problem

This totally surprised me. I had never heard of a frenulum. She doesn't have any speech or eating problems. She does have a gap in her front teeth. The DDS was kind of treatment-happy (said also her tonsils are huge and dd1 should have braces), so I'm trying to decide if this is a non-issue. On the other hand, the little bit of discussion I'm finding so far indicates that cutting it is not much of an issue, either. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 08-19-2014, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by richella View Post
This totally surprised me. I had never heard of a frenulum. She doesn't have any speech or eating problems. She does have a gap in her front teeth. The DDS was kind of treatment-happy (said also her tonsils are huge and dd1 should have braces), so I'm trying to decide if this is a non-issue. On the other hand, the little bit of discussion I'm finding so far indicates that cutting it is not much of an issue, either. Any thoughts?
Which frenulum?

Bring back the old MDC
#3 of 6 Old 08-19-2014, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedwithboys View Post
Which frenulum?
The one between the upper lip and the gum. Hers is attached just above where her front teeth (don't) come together.
#4 of 6 Old 08-19-2014, 06:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
It sounds like lip tie, many people have it and it may or may not present issues. The usual issue is latching on while breastfeeding, pain to mother and lack of adequate milk transfer to infant, leading to lack of weight gain, and also early decay in upper incisors.
At seven your daughter is likely past that. If it hasn't presented any issues I would not consider surgery but others may feel differently.

Last edited by Asiago; 08-19-2014 at 07:27 PM.
#5 of 6 Old 08-19-2014, 10:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I have that. I got to listen to two dentists talk about how each would cut it as if I weren't there when I was 7. Somehow, neither way happened and I still have it. No problem for me at all. My front two teeth had a gap, too, but I was congenitally missing the teeth next to them so it would have happened anyway.

Having heard that conversation at 7 was awful. Childhood is a time when you can be painfully out of control of what happens to your body. I try to minimize that for my kids and whenever possible let anything wait that can wait until they are older to decide for themselves.
#6 of 6 Old 08-21-2014, 12:09 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, everyone.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page