Mothering Forum banner

DDS says 7 yo has a frenulum problem

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  richella 
#1 ·
This totally surprised me. I had never heard of a frenulum. She doesn't have any speech or eating problems. She does have a gap in her front teeth. The DDS was kind of treatment-happy (said also her tonsils are huge and dd1 should have braces), so I'm trying to decide if this is a non-issue. On the other hand, the little bit of discussion I'm finding so far indicates that cutting it is not much of an issue, either. Any thoughts?

#4 · (Edited)
It sounds like lip tie, many people have it and it may or may not present issues. The usual issue is latching on while breastfeeding, pain to mother and lack of adequate milk transfer to infant, leading to lack of weight gain, and also early decay in upper incisors.
At seven your daughter is likely past that. If it hasn't presented any issues I would not consider surgery but others may feel differently.

#5 ·
I have that. I got to listen to two dentists talk about how each would cut it as if I weren't there when I was 7. Somehow, neither way happened and I still have it. No problem for me at all. My front two teeth had a gap, too, but I was congenitally missing the teeth next to them so it would have happened anyway.

Having heard that conversation at 7 was awful. Childhood is a time when you can be painfully out of control of what happens to your body. I try to minimize that for my kids and whenever possible let anything wait that can wait until they are older to decide for themselves.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.