4 year old having lots of accidents - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 09-04-2014, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
4 year old having lots of accidents

My DD is 4.5. She's been daytime potty trained since just under 2, although she's never been dry overnight. Lately she's been having issues with poop accidents - mostly just a little bit getting in her underwear, but by the time she gets to the toilet she can't go or is unwilling to wait long enough, so the same thing happens again and again. We've been working on an All Things Poop sticker chart for a few weeks now, and it seems to be helping, though hasn't completely solved the problem.

All of a sudden today she had 4(!) full-on pee accidents. Not just a little pee in the unders before making it to the potty, but just plain peeing in her pants while out playing on the swingset. I am not surprised this is happening, but I'm not sure the best way to deal with it.

Why I'm not surprised - I know this can be common when children are stressed, and she has plenty of reason for stress right now. I am 37 weeks pregnant and a SAHM. She has hardly ever been without me, and she knows that when I have the baby I will be in the hospital overnight (at least). She's had a lot of anxious questions about that. We're also completely rearranging the house, so her bed is all taken apart and she's been sleeping on the floor of a different bedroom for several days while our regular bedroom gets done over. Then the fact that the new baby is coming, AND she started preschool this week. Whew. She's been alternately taking things like an absolute champ and completely breaking down, and also seems to need lots of extra snuggles.

So, what can I do to help her with the pee accidents? Is there anything to be done in the face of all this stress? Should I just pretty much ignore it and hope it subsides as our lives stabilize? Or is there a sensitive way to curb the issue?

(She claims, by the way, that she just didn't want to stop playing to go potty. And sometimes she also says that she just can't feel it.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 09-04-2014, 08:20 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
With everything that is going on it is probably just some normal developmental regression. One way to handle it is to do nothing and just let her move through it, while supporting her a great deal in other areas. Bolster her connection to you. Spend extra time with her. Help her feel your support. Don't really mention any concerns about the accidents.

When she is not with you, check in with the dr. just to think about whether there are any physical reasons for it.

My hunch is that it is just a phase related to all the big girl changes lately.

#3 of 3 Old 09-07-2014, 08:23 AM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
It might be worth taking her to a chiropractor as well. A subluxation can weaken nerve function and prevent her from feeling the sensation to go. Couldn't hurt, anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page