Non-violent comic book recommendations? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 11-16-2014, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Non-violent comic book recommendations?

Any ideas on non-violent comic books for a 7 year old. I should clarify a 7 year old that is an Aspie with aggressive behavior, not wanting anything superhero if it reflects any type of negative social interaction.

I may be dreaming that something like this is even out there but my ds is struggling to read but really enjoys the comic book type picture/word layout. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 11-16-2014, 04:43 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
What about graphic novels? Our library has tons of them.
#3 of 8 Old 11-17-2014, 11:11 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
What about something like comic strip comic books? My 7 year old likes Garfield (though Garfield can get quite snarky, and I've heard DS adopt many of Garfield's little quips and things- which aren't always nice) but our library has stuff like the Peanuts comic strip. I wonder if Calvin and Hobbes would interest him...though I'm not super familiar with that comic strip, but I know they have books out...

Actually, I'm a joyful mom of three and counting! (I was a tad short-sighted when picking my username!) Married to DH since 2006, mom of DS (2007), DD (2009), DS2 (2012) and a new little one expected early May 2015!
#4 of 8 Old 11-17-2014, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Little Lulu is now available in anthologies. Very funny.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid 9 years old and a little girl EnviroBaby !
I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more.
#5 of 8 Old 11-17-2014, 01:20 PM

Binky the Space Cat, Babymouse,
#6 of 8 Old Today, 02:21 AM
Len

My 7yo ds really likes a series by ursula Vernon: Dragonbreath.
#7 of 8 Old Today, 03:31 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Hmm, could you look into old comics? Like the original? They did still have violence, so you may want to avoid it, but it was at least cartoon-y violence.

Most comics nowadays (the big superhero ones), frankly, are not age-appropriate for any 7 year old. It's a bit like the parents who let their kids watch South Park because "But it's a cartoon!"- yeah, not for kids. They're graphic, they're sexualized, they're gratuitously violent. I love 'em, but they're much more violent than the PG/PG-13 superhero movies they're cranking out.

Most superheroes are, ultimately, violent. I asked DP, who's a comic geek and did a thesis on superheroes, and they came up with a blank on non-violent superheroes. The only ones I can think of are very kiddy ones (ex. SuperWhy, which I think is for kids much younger than your son).

If you just want comics- there are loads that are pretty low-violence or non-violent (not sure if you count slapstick, clearly-an-accident as violence), but if you specifically want superheroes... :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyfulmomof2 View Post
I wonder if Calvin and Hobbes would interest him...though I'm not super familiar with that comic strip, but I know they have books out...
I love Calvin and Hobbes, but Calvin is a loner who constantly breaks the rules. Outside of his parents, all authority figures are (in Calvin's mind, so in the strip's eye) antagonists there to stop his fun. As are other children.

Also- it is violent. It's not Superhero "smashing a villain's face in graphically" violent, but Calvin has a bully who beats him up, he picks on the girl who lives down the street, and there are periodically strips featuring realistic dinosaurs doing realistic dinosaur things because as much as he says it's for Calvin, I think Bill Watterson just really likes drawing realistic dinosaurs. The violence is very much PG, the majority of the more 'graphic' violence is all imaginary (ex. he imagines dinosaurs in fighter jets blowing up the school), but it is there.

Again, I love the strip, it has a lot of value, but the OP's concerned about comics that show bad behavior in a way that could be positive. C&H is a pretty subtle strip that's ultimately from Calvin's viewpoint. I wouldn't worry about a child who already has pretty decent social interaction and no serious behavior problems, but it could definitely reinforce bad behavior that already exists.

#8 of 8 Old Today, 06:17 AM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
I love the Dragonbreath books, but y'know, pre-read and consider whether they're right for your kid and your family. Danny Dragonbreath is an awesome kid, who deals with bullies some, and winds up crawling through sewers, fighting mutant potato salad, and helping a friend escape time-traveling ninja frogs who dangle her over a volcano. Also, it appears that he maybe accidentally set some things on fire at summer camp last year. You might want to pick and choose there. There's the werewolf hotdogs book, and then there's a book where Danny and his friends have to help find Danny's granddad's missing dentures. There's still a turn for the weird in that book or it wouldn't be fun, but the dentures aren't going to cause trouble at lunch time.

User Tag List