Car seat question- booster in front seat? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 05-22-2004, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can I get some links to why a 5 pt harness booster seat shouldn't be put in the front seat?

I measured the seats before ds was born, but never got a practice run in making them actually fit the backseat b/c he was 5 1/2 weeks early. Now that he's here, we're having a very hard time getting all 3 seats into the back. They either don't fit or all crooked, which obviously isn't safe.

Dh brought up putting dd's carseat in the front seat, keeping the 2 boys in the back and one of us sitting in the back with them, but I thought carseats shouldn't be in the front.

We know that rear facing carseats are a no-no in the front seat of the car, but why can't we put the booster in the front with the seat all the way back? The seatbelts are the same in front and back. It just doesn't seem right, but I'm not sure why (other than back is just the safest place in the car).

Our car is a Mazda Protege, BTW, if that info helps anyone be able to respond. We also have a Mercury Sable that will fit the seats fine, but the a/c is broken, we live in AZ and daily temps are already over 100- way too hot to drive around w/a newborn that way.

Any suggestions?

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 05-23-2004, 08:27 AM

I think the only reason is if there is an airbag, then a child could be seriously injured or killed from the airbag, even if the accident was relatively minor. If you can disable your airbag, or your car doesn't have one, then the only reason I can think of is like you said, the SAFEST place is the middle of the back seat, of course only one child can sit there LOL! Do you have KISS, kids in safety seats in your area? I've called them for advice before, or even your police or fire station should have people trained to handle these ?'s.
#3 of 11 Old 05-23-2004, 10:02 AM

Yes, check if your car has a PASSENGER air bag. The driver's air bag is OK. If your car doesn't have a passenger air bag, or if it can be disabled, then it seems to me a booster seat in the front (though not ideal) would be acceptable.

You might check with your car insurance company. Often they have information like this.

Ann-Marita

Ann-Marita. I deleted my usual signature due to, oh, wait, if I say why, that might give too much away. 

#4 of 11 Old 05-23-2004, 10:03 AM

Quote:
The back seat is the safest place for children to ride. It is estimated that children ages 12 and under are 36 percent less likely to die in a crash if seated in the rear of a passenger vehicle than if seated in the front seat.
http://www.safekids.org/tier3_cd.cfm...&folder_id=540

Quote:
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration recommends that all children 12 and under be restrained in the rear seat. Researchers estimate that putting a child in the back seat instead of the front reduces the chance of injury and death by more than 30%, whether or not the car has a passenger air bag.
http://www.carseat.org/Resources/FAQs.htm#position

Are you using an infant seat for your newborn? Have you tried installing it without the base?

I would suggest taking your car, the seats and the children to a certified CPS tech to see if s/he can find a way to get all 3 of your seats to fit correctly in the backseat. Here is a helpful link that shows measurements of a lot of seats so you could compare yours to others and see if maybe you could try one of them in a different seat. If you have Babies R Us nearby they will let you try seats in your car before buying.

Putting my child in the front seat of a car, airbag or not, would not be a workable option for me.

http://www.carseatdata.org/csnumbers.html
#5 of 11 Old 05-23-2004, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

I have the baby in a convertible seat, but I also have an infant seat and that doesn't fit any better, with or without the base. For now (newest ds is not even 2 weeks old) we've not had all 3 kids in the car, but that's not a very practical solution for the long term.

I know the back is the safest, but if I have the carseats in there all cock-eyed, that's definitely safe. Dh could get them in, but he said they were in crooked. I think that's more dangerous than putting dd (still in a 5 pt harness) in the front seat that's pushed all the way back.

We're going to be getting a new car in the next few months, so maybe we'll just avoid taking all 3 kids anywhere until then. Or maybe I can get some sort of cooling system (one of those misters or something) to use in the car without a/c.

Thanks for the replies- any more are very welcome. How do I find a certified tech?

#6 of 11 Old 05-23-2004, 06:32 PM

HEy..
Call the Mesa or Gilbert Fire Department they do car seat checks for free all over town ask them to fit your seat(s) for your children. I did that when my 3 were in carseats they adjusted the seats with baby if needed .I felt so much better having these trained professionals take care of this for me ...Good Luck
#7 of 11 Old 05-23-2004, 06:45 PM

Sorry I thought I included that link too:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/inju...acts/index.cfm

Try to get a tech that has taken the 40 hour class within the past year. Or, if it has been more than a year since their initial class that they have taken the annual refresher. There's nothing wrong with asking about their qualifications. They are installing and teaching you how to properly install what could be the single most important safety item you own.
#8 of 11 Old 05-24-2004, 06:19 PM

I'm across the country but I go to the local state police station where there is a certified trooper. She is wonderful. Good luck - I'm going to be in the same position come January and I don't know if I'll be able to fit 3 into either of our cars.

Kerrie Mama to DD 10 yo, DS 8 yo and DD 5  

#9 of 11 Old 05-24-2004, 06:39 PM

Have you thought about putting the 4yo in a booster without the harness in the back seat? Just the kind that lifts them up a bit. Those take up a lot less room than the big boosters. We had to get one when my baby was born because it was the only way to get three carseats across the back seat. We also had to get a different carseat for our toddler. Just as safe, just not as wide.

I wouldn't put a 4yo in the front seat pretty much no matter what, with or without airbags.
#10 of 11 Old 05-24-2004, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

I thought about a booster w/o the harness- but she's only 35 lbs and I know the harness is safer. However, I would imagine a booster w/o the harness in the back would be safer than a booster w/a harness in the front.

Thanks for the link for techs- I also have a fire dept about 1/2 mile from my house- maybe they can check for me.

#11 of 11 Old 05-25-2004, 08:04 AM

I'd be interested in what you find out. I have a friend who prefers her DD (2 1/2) up front with her, and when I asked about safety issues, said there was no way, with the seat pushed all the way back, that there could be any worse reprocutions.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page