Mothering Forum banner

Essential Oils in a Cool Mist Humidifier

4K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  DBZ 
#1 ·
My daughter gets croup. It used to be frequent, but thank goodness this is only the second time this year. Croup usually lands us in the ER though. Last time, a friend gave me eucalyptus oil to put in it, but I have never done this before, so of course I am coming here for guidance. I don't know what I would do without the MDC mamas! How much should I put in? Will it smell? I can't stand the smell of the oil. Can it go in a run-of-the-mill humidifier from my local drug store. It's no fancy diffuser.

Thanks
Kara

#2 ·
To be effective you'll probably have to disperse enough to smell it. You may just get used to it, and if it works it's worth it. It may work for a while if the humidifier works without heating the water. Essential oils are actually bad for humidifiers though, they can break down plastic. Also the way they work won't be as effective as a diffuser, it doesn't break it up into tiny particles in the air. I just sniff have mine rag soaked in eucalyptus when we use it, or throw a few drops in a hot shower and sit in the steamy bathroom. It's a very potent EO so non ideal uses like that can work anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.