Mothering Forum banner

Need TV programming ideas that model decent behavior

985 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  nici123 
#1 ·
DD (just turned 8), and DS (almost 10) just picked up watching the cartoon Avatar recently. They usually watch with headphones, but those were off the other day and I said, 'Oh, holy CRAP! THIS is why your (DD's) behavior has gone into the toilet lately!!!' That program is fabulous for showing how to see everything as negative, and act out dramatically over the issues. And DD has been following suit. And it totally times up with them watching this show.

We don't have TV service - just Amazon Prime and the library videos - but does anyone have suggestions for what they can watch (that they'd WANT to watch) that actually models behavior that, should she imitate it, won't drive me to drink? And for the stretch goal: will actually help teach life techniques to cope well? I'd just be happy with a program they like, that doesn't have everyone either being a bully or a Debbie Downer all the time.

Any suggestions would be MOST welcome!

#2 · (Edited)
We watched PBS programs. Arthur was my daughter's favorite. We ALWAYS watched shows together. I didn't let her watch TV or shows by herself unless we'd already watched them a few times together. So that we had conversations and laughter together and so I monitored everything she watched. When she was older we watched nature and travel documentaries together a lot. We have no TV and use electronic media fairly infrequently here. You can decrease your programmed media consumption in general. A lot of it isn't that great. A lot of it is harmful, IMO.

We read a lot here. My daughter (an adult) said that this gave her a tremendous edge in maturation, comprehension, and writing skills. She's a scientist and she's usually selected to be the spokesperson, author, or editor in her workgroups. This has opened a lot of doors for her.

#3 ·
Thanks Pumabearclan.

We homeschool...so the 'educational' factor in video watching is well-received when it's part of the 'school day', but shunned during their 1 hour of screen time on their break. But you're SO right about watching new shows with them - I used to be much more on the ball. I know I watched the Avatar show in the past, but didn't think much (at the time!) about the rotten attitudes the characters have. I suppose I was too taken with their supernatural abilities. :)

Nic

#4 ·
the 'educational' factor in video watching is well-received when it's part of the 'school day', but shunned during their 1 hour of screen time on their break.
Maybe you can foster more holistic learning. There wasn't a "learning" time and a "non-learning" time here. My daughter was in public school but nothing in our lifestyles indicates a distinction between "learning" (living) and "entertainment." I guess we basically don't consume entertainment. We don't see any use for it. A book or a video on nature is perfectly relaxing and "entertaining" for us while providing intellectual stimulation as well. Perhaps this distinction is something that you could consider in how your children (and the adults) are using their time.

#5 ·
They are old enough to watch shows aimed at all ages instead of kids stuff. Then you might enjoy watching too alongside. Mine that age likes some sci-fi like Doctor Who, Star Trek. Sometimes he watches sort of reality TV stuff based around subsistence living if I have it on anyway: Alaska's Last Frontier, Mountain Men, Frontier House, Victorian Farm. A little cussing in many but nothing gratuitous, some education and good values there. We use netflix, amazon, and youtube. Mostly my kids play video games instead of TV watching though.

#7 · (Edited)
If they like anime you can try finding Sailor Moon. It's all about finding the good in people and being nice. The entire story is VERY long and can get a bit confusing, but the half hour or hour long episodes are fun and entertaining. This was my ultimate favourite show when I was growing up. The American version is cleaned up from the Japanese version for parental approval.

Other shows you can try finding (I'm not sure what shows you have access to):
Rug Rats
Angela Anaconda
Berenstein Bears (okay, it's geared to little kids. But I always found it ageless.)
Liberty Kids (teaches history in the 1700's)
Cyber Chase (teaches decimals and geometry)
Where In The World is Carmen Sandiego? (teaches geography, archeology and sleuthing.)
The Magic School Bus
Captain Planet and the Planeteers (teaches about the environment)
Reading Rainbow
Kim Possible
Owl TV

#8 ·
Other shows you can try finding (I'm not sure what shows you have access to):
Dawn's Mom - thank you! Great list, I'll definitely check those out!

And also, just as a report for anyone else ever reading this thread looking for suggestions - I JUST found a series that Amazon did (really? when did Amazon start making TV shows???!) called Anndroids. No bullies. No bad attitudes. The 'problems' they face are more about life not going as expected (electricity goes out during important science experiments), and the 3 main characters play caring parental roles to the androids the one genius girl has created. It's a little cheesey, but my kids don't seem to notice, and they LOVE it! Lots of teamwork, sprinkled with some <shhhh> learning while the main character explains science terms and more to the androids. The only 'bad' is that they hide things from their parents...but ya know, when you've made a bunch of androids, don't you HAVE to hide that? :wink:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.