HELP!!! Poop Problem - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-02-2004, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 4 1/2 year old still will not poop in the toilet! He's not very regular either--sometimes he just goes a little bit. But it doesn't bother him at all to go in his pants! He just doesn't care. I've tried scolding him, I've tried rewarding him--I can't seem to find anything that works! I welcome any and all suggestions!

Wife to Mark, mom to Cole (20), Connor (17), Noah (14), Joshua (10), Asher (8), Gabriel (5), and Anna (2), and 4
#2 of 5 Old 06-02-2004, 07:34 PM

Lynda, there have been a few threads about this recently. You might want to do a search for them if you don't get a lot of responses.
#3 of 5 Old 06-05-2004, 09:28 PM

I would look into encopresis.

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/t086100.asp
http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/t086200.asp
http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/t081100.asp

Your son is about the age when we got the offical diagnois. Many doctors are ignorant of this issue. It is not necessarily just ad more fiber and/or water. We did that and made my son worse. Luckly I was forced to change doctors because of insurance and we walked in and told this new doctor what was going on and he knew what it was and how to treat it.
#4 of 5 Old 06-06-2004, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the info. I don't know if he would understand the diagram and talking about it--he's pretty immature for his age. But he is very shy and seems embaressed by many things. I'll try talking to him anyway and see if we can't fix his problem.

Wife to Mark, mom to Cole (20), Connor (17), Noah (14), Joshua (10), Asher (8), Gabriel (5), and Anna (2), and 4
#5 of 5 Old 06-09-2004, 09:50 AM

LydiaB, I don't know anything about encopresis (spelled right?), however, my son went regularly in a diaper until he was 4.75 years old. He would ask for a diaper, and then poop. At the time, I read about it, and also asked Dr. Sears, who said that this was still in the norm. Perhaps, your ds has a physical problem and I'd look into it. I just want you to know from what I know, for alot of kids, bowel movements are a big deal and take longer then you'd expect to train. My ds just wanted a diaper to go in, but I understand that alot of kids, especially boy, go in their pants. Some kids even intentionally hold their poop in. Anyway, I was given alot of hassle from inlaws and I just want you to know you are not alone. My ds finally decided to go in the toilet and hasn't pooped anywhere else since. It was just when he was ready. Good luck!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page