public potties - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 06-12-2002, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Why is it that even if someplace has 30 potties, not a single one is down low enough for a small child to use? We have specail potties for handicaped people, why not for short people?

Did anyone ever stop to consider that those stupid auto-flush toilets flush at odd times when the user is under 4 feet tall (completely freaking out my kids).

Why are the water faucets and soap so high up that even my 5 year can't reach them? When you try to wash your hands and everything is above your head, the water runs up you arm.

Why is it that someplaces that have potties say that you can't use them (small stores)? They other day my 4 year old HAD to go NOW and I saw a potty marked "employees only" and quickly headed for it. An employeed shouted at me that we weren't allowed there, and shouted back -- "it's there or the FLOOR" and just kept going.

Why why why why why

Do the people who make these decision send their little kids to the potty with the other parent or do they just leave them with a sitter every time they leave the house?
#2 of 4 Old 06-12-2002, 12:47 PM

There is one Shopping Center in my area that have a Family Room with a small potty in the same stall than a regular one so Mom or Dad can go in with dd or ds. There is also a place to BF (this is one of my turn off 'cause people seems to assume that, since there is a place for BF you should use it and not BF on a bench in the middle of the mall... ) with a small enclosed playing area for sibblings and a large counter to change diapers. But the water faucets still are too high for little ones...

Society have big steps to take to become family friendly

Valérie   
#3 of 4 Old 06-12-2002, 03:09 PM

Our malls all have the "family restroom" also. One regular toilet, one small toilet, one regular sink, one low sink, a comfy bench and a changing table. I love these because either parent can go in with the kids, and they are usually cleaner than your average public restroom. It's still a bathroom though, so I would never breastfeed in there.
#4 of 4 Old 06-12-2002, 04:28 PM

We've made a game out of the loud auto-flushers. They did freak dd out. On the other hand, she was pretty freaked out about using an unfamilliar toilet when she first potty trained. Would it hurt to have a few step stools around in public bathrooms?

What did the employees do when you came out of the bathroom? Good for you! Sometimes I let dd tell people in stores that she has to go, when I can tell they're going to be stingy with their toilet. As a 3yo jumping up and down holding herself, grimacing and yelling "I have to pee pee!!!" she makes a very compelling arguement for allowing customers to use their bathrooms.

The nice thing about family bathrooms with BF rooms, especially if the rooms are pleasant, is if you have a spirited antsy older child who doesn't want to wait while you stop to nurse, at least the older child can be occupied and safe. The one family bathroom was called a "family lounge" and the bf room was nicely furnished and well equipped with toys, and was separate from the toilets. When we're out shopping I could lose dd in a second if I look down for a nanosecond. I couldn't imagine what I would do (other than walk--run--chase dd and nurse) if I had another nursling who needed to BF. I do prefer to NIP, and dd is my only one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page