Mothering Forum banner

recommendations of apps/websites for learning math facts?

938 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  tri31 
#1 ·
I'm looking for recommendations to help my second grader improve her fluency with addition math facts. She would love to use an app, website, or online game for some of her math practice time.

I know there's debate about whether memorizing math facts is effective/good practice, but I'm not looking to debate that here. Given the specifics of the child, the school, and the teacher, I think this will help her gain confidence.

I'd love to find an app/site that's "smart" -- would work with a group of "easy" facts and only introduce new facts a little at a time, would recognize which ones she's having difficulty with and return to those more often, etc. It's fine if it's a game, but the first fact it throws at her should be 1+0 or 2+1, not 8+7!

#4 ·
True, there are so many it's mind-boggling! That's why I thought it could be helpful to get some recommendations and hone in on some good ones to try. The first few I tried (before posting this thread) I didn't care for at all -- would love to avoid wasting a ton of time on this. There are so many bad ones!

#3 ·
I like Khan academy. It's a free site, and covers other areas of math as well, not just facts. It is "smart" and starts with basics and then introduces the more difficult facts and concepts after success with the basics. The "early math mission" includes 2nd grade math. Many of the problems have an "I'd like a hint" option, and some also have videos that teach (or review) the concept. It also has an algorithm to go back and occasionally review skills that the student has "mastered." It gives rewards for different accomplishments, lets you change your avatar, which add some "fun", but it isn't as game like as some sites.

For kids who need a minute to figure out the answer, it is nice because it doesn't stress time so much as just figuring it out. I work with students who have LDs in math, and they like it. None the less, it does build better computation skills. Since the students also get problems with graphs or shapes or whatever, it is more interesting than *just* being given computation after computation problems.

The only negative is that some problems require reading, so students who struggle with reading as well need help with those. I wish they had a voice option for the early levels.

khanacademy.org

#5 ·
I just got my 2nd graders report card yesterday. Math fluency is marked N/A. I was told that kids would work their way up to fluency naturally. For those of you who have tried Singapore math, our public school approach seems to be along those lines. Strategy is what they are teaching. My husband gets all concerned about my sons math "facts". The teacher said that he is doing very well. I know you mentioned that you wanted to avoid controversy, I agree. But it is possible that everything is fine? In our experience anyway, Dad's lectures about flash cards may be creating unnecessary anxiety, for OUR child.

#6 ·
But it is possible that everything is fine? In our experience anyway, Dad's lectures about flash cards may be creating unnecessary anxiety, for OUR child.
It is possible that every thing is fine. It's also possible that a little study on fact fluency might help your son perform more complicated math more quickly as he progresses through school. The point where this really hits is in middle school when students are required to do more complex mathematics, but some are still struggling to perform the simple calculations that are a part of them.

Your school is focusing on the students developing a conceptual understanding, and that really is the most important part. Many people are able to solve problems quickly enough without ever working at memorizing facts. For some one it is really quite natural.

There's nothing wrong with also developing fluency, though. Rather than lecture your son, why don't you suggest to your DH that he just get some flash cards and work with your son for 5 mins. a day? The lectures are really negative because it is difficult for the children with the school says one thing and parents say another. Rather than give your son that conflict, you guys *could choose* to simple fill in what you see as a gap in education. All schooling systems and approaches leave gaps - its just the nature of the beast. Rather than getting worked up over it, just fill it in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.