Probiotics?- first time on Antibiotics - Mothering Forums

#1 of 6 Old 05-18-2016, 04:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Probiotics?- first time on Antibiotics

My DS is about to turn 7. We had noticed that he was having difficulty hearing in February and was told by his Dr. that he had fluid in his ears and that she would refer him to an Ears Nose Throat Dr. We finally just saw the ENT and she has he has a sticky fluid similar to honey behind his ear drum and that he will need tubes in July. He has never once complained about his ears hurting, only mentioned occasionally that they would ‘pop’ whe he yawned sometimes. She also gave him a prescription for Amoxicillin/Clavulanic Acid to try as I asked if it would be worth a try first (not sure if it’s the right thing to do but the tubes scare me too). He has never been on antibiotics. I researched and bought Florastor and Culterelle. Can anyone recommend to be how/when it should best be used? As well as any other info you may have to suggest. Thanks so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 05-20-2016, 06:40 AM

Mentioned: 500 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
We've had antibiotics a couple of times and Florastor was recommended. IME - take the shortest course possible because the diarrhea lasts as long as the antibiotic. Some antibiotics are worse than others. You can talk about your concerns with the doc and they can recommend the antibiotics that are gentlest on the gut.

Hugs. I'd also recommend a second opinion. Is the fluid causing hearing loss? What is the fluid? Is it bacteria? There's a technique where they actually put a small hole in the ear drum and let any fluid drain out naturally. It's used widely in Europe to great success. I, of course, don't know your situation or if this is helpful, it's just an idea. I'll see if I can find a link.

Married to one of the last good guys left Jim
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mom to AJ 4/07
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and Genevieve 5/09

And then:

And THEN twins: Matt 11/14
and his guardian angel Billy

Ten days in our lives, a lifetime in our hearts
#3 of 6 Old 05-20-2016, 06:43 AM

Probiotics?- first time on Antibiotics

Duplicate post

Mom to AJ 4/07
and Genevieve 5/09

And then:

Last edited by Xerxella; 05-20-2016 at 06:45 AM.
#4 of 6 Old 05-20-2016, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for your reply! I am really not sure what the fluid is, other than a honey like substance. He did have a hearing test and his hearing was half of what it should be. He will have to have tubes in his ears if the antibiotics don't do anything. Thanks again!
#5 of 6 Old 05-20-2016, 02:16 PM

I guess what I'm saying is the "honey like substance" causing the hearing loss? Or is it whatever is causing it? For instance, if there's some infection it needs to be dealt with first. If that was the case, tubes wouldn't solve the problem. KWIM?

That's why I'm saying get a second opinion. Find out what the substance is and what's causing it first and then solve that. It seems like every ENT just says "tubes" for everything these days.

Sorry. I've brought your thread off track. Just some ideas. Hopefully someone else can give you more probiotic ideas.

Mom to AJ 4/07
and Genevieve 5/09

And then:

#6 of 6 Old 05-27-2016, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page