Mothering Forum banner

Does anyone have any experience with pediatric partials

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  stormborn 
#1 ·
My 4 year son fell in to a table and lost his top two front teeth. We have an appointment for pedo-partials for him.

I know it mainly comes down to aesthetics, but I also want him to be able to eat as properly as possible, not have any potential speech issues and, yes, for appearance reasons also. He still has another possibly upwards of four years before his permanent teeth come in.

They are not like partials for an adult. They are formed and cemented in place by a metal wire that is wrapped around and secured to his molars. That is the part that bothers me to be honest. I'm sure he will get used to it. I know at least at first I would be consciously aware of this new appliance being there constantly. But I'm thinking over time you wouldn't even think about it?

I've read about as much as I can, but was hoping I could find someone with first hand experience.

Has anyone here's child had one of these pedo-partials? Are there any issues with caring for them? Did your child get used to the appliance in his/her mouth and hopefully just forget it is even there?

#2 ·
I imagine he'll get used to them quickly. But, I had a friend whom this happened to her son. At 4, he's close to losing his baby teeth anyways. And the front teeth are the first to go. (My kids started losing baby teeth in Kindy and they weren't the first.). You could just do nothing and it'd be no big deal. People would just think he lost his baby teeth. No biggie. My friend did nothing and the adult teeth just grew in like normal. No big deal. No speech or eating problems and no expense. .

#4 ·
A friend had to have her child's front teeth pulled for unrelated reason. She was missing them for a few years, then they grew in. Her speech was fine before they were pulled, and not having them was no big deal for her. How is your son's speech now?
No speech issues to speak of. Other than now that he doesn't have the top-front teeth he is not able to make the same sounds as before quite the same.

I have to admit that a big part of this is aesthetics. Yes, I admit that I miss his full smile and something about it just makes me feel badly for him because of it. But I would hate it if some kids were in a group or something and said something to him and made him feel bad about himself. I will completely admit that a big part of this is aesthetics and to prevent him from being teased because of it.

If it were an easy fix I would do it without much hesitation. On the other hand, I would never have him go through something invasive for aesthetic reasons. And this process is riding that line for me.

If i knew he would quickly become used to it and and forget it was there, and that it would not be uncomfortable then that would help a great deal. But you can't answer that for me. I am just looking for other parents opinions. And was hoping to get lucky and find someone that had this for their child.

#6 ·
Seriously. All the other kids will be jealous of him. The kids who lose their teeth first are envied not ridiculed. If you want to sweeten the pot, have the tooth fairy leave him some good money. Honestly. Losing teeth is a point of pride for most kids.

I'm just going to try to gently say this, this seems more about you than him.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.