Ideas on bringing the family together - Mothering Forums

#1 of 8 Old 04-01-2017, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ideas on bringing the family together

Hey All,

I'm realising more and more that our family are spending less and less time together especially with the allure of the Ipad, laptops and mobile phones.

I have one daughter and 2 sons (one which we adopted) ages 7, 9 and 12.

I would really welcome some help from the community on how to bring the family together in a fun way without needing a screen or preferably without technology - watching movies is great but is not what I'm after.

I recently bought a 'We are smb Magnetic Dartboard' on Amazon which works a treat everytime and can be educational too but it would be good if I could bring some more options to the table.

All suggestions welcomed!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 04-01-2017, 07:47 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Guess it depends on your interests

Boardgames, ping pong/badminton, bicycling/hiking, camping/boating, swimming, read alouds, cooking, gardening, home projects, volunteering/community activities, garage sale....
#3 of 8 Old 04-01-2017, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumto1 View Post
Boardgames, ping pong/badminton, bicycling/hiking, camping/boating, swimming, read alouds, cooking, gardening, home projects, volunteering/community activities, garage sale....
Ping pong!!! How could I ever forget that!

I love the idea of volunteering with my kids and giving back at the same time. Thanks!

Please keep 'em coming

#4 of 8 Old 04-11-2017, 06:01 AM

Mentioned: 551 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Get out of the house and you'll get away from the screens. Biking, hiking, playing at the park, kicking the ball around the backyard, basketball in the driveway.

Pick some days where no screen is allowed. Make the weekends screen free or at least one day. The kids start really thinking of fun activities when the screen disappears.

Married to one of the last good guys left Jim
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mom to AJ 4/07
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and Genevieve 5/09

And THEN twins: Matt 11/14
and his guardian angel Billy

Ten days in our lives, a lifetime in our hearts

#5 of 8 Old 04-21-2017, 06:39 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Grab a frizzy or football, go out to a park and enjoy.
#6 of 8 Old 04-22-2017, 12:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Picnics at the park. Trips to your local observatory. Garden plot. Cooking together.

I gotta warm you, a lot of this falls to the wayside once they get to high school. They have their own friends. activities and don't want to do family stuff anymore.
#7 of 8 Old 06-27-2017, 01:06 PM

My kids (ages 10 and 13) definitely love their screen time. They hang out with friends online and use skype to have group chats. We limit their computer time to afternoons, and they have to stop before dinner, and no more computer time after dinner. This has been the rule for a while, so it's not a big deal for them.

Here are some of the things we do:

eat dinner together as a family
work on craft projects together (usually everyone has their own project, but we're all in the same room and talking together)
ping pong
camping
geocaching
bike rides
"family game night"
read aloud every evening before bed

Was a regular visitor to Mothering.com for several years, but too much time passed between my log-ins and now I am "New" again. I am definitely "New" to being the parent of teenagers!

#8 of 8 Old 06-27-2017, 03:39 PM

I would suggest dinner together as Sapphire Sun did
except I'd add that you communicate with their teachers
so you know about the subjects being taught and do
some studying of your own so there's a discussion and
less of a, "What did you learn in school today?" thing. You
might use the topics to influence the children and to
be in some ways more interesting than their peers. You
might have ready something you learned at work that day
that they would find interesting.
I'd also suggest reading a book together. You might read
aloud nightly parts you've read ahead of time to make your
reading to the family better and also so that you're ready for
issues/subjects so as to be better able to influence discussions.
I started reading "Shabanu, Daughter of the Wind" one night
over protests and faced a mutiny maybe half and hour later
when I suggested that was enough for the night. Your librarian
would have suggested if you bring the ages of your children
and a general idea of the type of subject in mind

"Let us put our minds together and see what life we can make

for our children." ~ Tatanka Iotanka

Join and help start the nonprofit organization "World Parent"

www.worldparent.org

Tags
family fun , Family Games , fun , fun learning

User Tag List