Mothering Forum banner

Son waking too early, too tired to dress for school

1K views 10 replies 11 participants last post by  ACarter 
#1 ·
So, its the first week of school and I'm having the same problems I had last year. My son just started 3rd grade. He goes to bed at 9:30 pm and wakes at 4:00 am. He WILL NOT go back to bed no matter what we do. He gets hungry around 5:00 am and nags me until I make him breakfast. He goes back to sleep at 6:00 am. He has to be at school by 8:00 am, so we try to wake him around 7-7:30. He will get fussy and not wake up. We end up having to put his uniform on while he's in bed and carry him to the car. When he arrives at school, he's suddenly wide awake when he gets out the car.

I want to add that he has a mild case of ADHD. He's already on two meds for this. Before I discuss it with his doctor, I want to get some opinions on here.

#3 ·
You need some consequences for his getting out of bed that early. He's clearly still tired because he goes back to sleep. My daughter would be an early riser, too, but since she's been old enough to understand (which is like, what, four?) our rule has been that she has to stay in the bed until seven, other than going to the bathroom. She does not wake us up unless she's throwing up or has an emergency. Your son is old enough to understand that he needs to stay in bed until seven. Tell him no ipad, no books, just lay there. And if he starts getting up and waking people up, consequences. Just pick a consequence that seems logical to you. And make him stay awake until it's time for school.

Also, third grade is old enough to handle his own breakfast if he's going to INSIST on being up. It would not be a fun breakfast like poptarts, it would be fruit and cold (not sugary) cereal. If he makes a mess, make him clean it up.

You can make this early waking very inconvenient for him. It should be at least as inconvenient for him as it is for you.

#4 · (Edited)
Push his bedtime to 10:00 and have him exercise from 9:30 -10:00. Or just let him stay up till 10:30-11:00 as not all kids are alike. My kids go to bed between 10:00 and 11:00 and they are in 3rd grade now (twin boys). None of my kids have ever had a set bedtime and they do just fine in school even making principles honor roll year after year.

It could be that he needs a later dinner or maybe snack before bed.

#8 ·
What time is he eating before bed? A high-protein snack with some fat shortly before bedtime (and maybe a later bedtime, too) may help him sleep later.

Going back to sleep indicates that he's not waking at 4:00 because he's had enough sleep.

The way he's suddenly wide awake when he arrives at school seems suspicious to me. Maybe he's pretending to be unable to wake because he enjoys being dressed and carried like a baby. Maybe this need could be met with some extra nurturing of a more convenient type.

Definitely talk with his doctor about whether any of this could be related to the medications.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.