Airplane Activity Kit Ideas (3 yr old)? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-26-2004, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all! On Friday we will be going on an airplane for a three hour trip to Toronto. Anyone have any suggestions for an activity kit for a three year old boy? I was thinking about stickers, but that will only cover about 30 minutes. He's not a big crayon guy yet. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2004, 09:13 PM

Someone here once posted that "silly putty" was the greatest thing for their long flight. This poster had spent a tidy sum on new toys/games for a long flight and the cheap old silly putty was entertainment for most of the flight.

I've never tried it. Honestly, I'm waiting until we fly to FL this fall and then I am going to buy some!
Old 07-27-2004, 12:29 AM

Here are some things that occupied my almost-3-year-old DS on an airplane flight:

books (I read to him a lot, and he spent some time looking at the pictures himself)
chalkboard and colored chalk, with rag for erasing (you can make your own slate by buying chalkboard contact paper and sticking it on stiff cardboard)
Wikki stix (waxy yarn you can form into different shapes and stick down to a board)
magnet set (I found one with different eyes, noses, etc. to stick on a face, but I'm sure any magnets would be entertaining. I handed the magnets through security to avoid delays)
finger puppets (I've read you can make a puppet from the airsickness bag, too, but I haven't tried that!)

and last but not least...FOOD! My DS *loves to eat, so I packed lots of finger foods and waited for takeoff to feed him. He also enjoyed the beverage service.

Good luck!
Old 07-27-2004, 03:36 AM

Our biggest hit was a few matchbox cars in the construction theme that he'd never seen before. We let him sit on the floor and he had a ball. The next in length of time consumption was a travel magna doodle. Mostly it was him telling me what to draw then erasing it and telling me a new thing to draw. Or telling me to draw what I had just drawn previously. I finally used it to draw some pictures as I made up a terribly long, plot-lacking, full of sound effects and funny faces, story.
Old 07-27-2004, 05:03 AM

We had a long flight with DS and DD when they were 4 and 2.

I packed them a special backpack with-
snacks
juice boxes
mini stuffed animals
mini etch-a-sketch
mini dolls
books
silly putty
little cars
paper and crayons
disposable camera
candy (for if I got desperate!)

The toys were all new and wrapped up. I got things as cheap as I could at Target. I also strongly suggested they nap at one point.

When I got on, I got the LOOK from people since I had two DC.
When I got off, I got tons of compliments on my great kids. They had even entertained some older ladies next to us by singing little songs. It want great, but it could have easily went the other way! I am not looking forward to doing it again anytime soon.
Old 07-27-2004, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Binoculars! We flew in April when ds was just over 3 and he had a blast looking out the window with them. It was great for takeoff....I could grip the armrests and close my eyes while he happily watched the city get smaller! I second the Magna Doodle, he loves it when he's stuck, airplanes or cars. Little animals, those little rubber things? Perfect size for the tray table, same with silly putty or playdough (I got the tiny containers). Ds also used his own backpack to carry his stuff. It made one less thing for me to carry and it took more time for him to get his toys out than it would have taken me.

He also ate 2 rolls of bubble tape on the plane. It kept him very busy and helped his ears. Thanks dh! Bubble tape is a GREAT idea
Old 07-27-2004, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eustacia
Someone here once posted that "silly putty" was the greatest thing for their long flight. This poster had spent a tidy sum on new toys/games for a long flight and the cheap old silly putty was entertainment for most of the flight.

I've never tried it. Honestly, I'm waiting until we fly to FL this fall and then I am going to buy some!

That was me! She loved the Silly Putty, and also put the mini Magna Doodle to good use. We read a lot of books, and had some snacks.

Also, I suggest that you use that waiting time in the terminal to engage in rigorous physical activity. Make a fool of yourself -- run, skip, gallop, hop, etc. up and down the terminal. I did that with my dd during our deplaning and when we reboarded, she fell right to sleep and stayed that way until we landed.
Old 07-27-2004, 02:54 PM

We just got back from vacation with our 3 year old girl. She's not the best traveler (really likes to have things HER way ) but we survived our long flight with:

books
healthy snacks
Thomas the Tank Engine DVDs that we played on the laptop
mini etch a sketch
mini binoculars
stickers and sticker book
colorforms set

She picked out a new backpack that rolled so she could haul her stuff around. Worked great!
Old 07-27-2004, 09:50 PM

Just returned from a cross-country trip with our two last week--I echo most of what has been said here. One thing that helped us as well was doling out the new stuff at specific times, so that they didn't blow through it all in 5 minutes.

The backpack idea worked great for us, too--both girls really liked having a "bag" of their own to look after (although this did make it a tad longer during the security check). We also did finger puppets and little mini slinkies.

Our trip going was fine--both kids were great, and very well behaved. Coming home was another story--we were all tired, and tempers were short. But, we lived to tell the tale!

Good luck, and enjoy your trip.

Mia
Old 07-30-2004, 09:52 PM

Here's a couple more ideas:

-pipe cleaners: i cut them ahead of time into different lengths and we had lots of fun making things with them
Old 07-30-2004, 09:53 PM

Here's a couple more ideas:

-pipe cleaners: i cut them ahead of time into different lengths and we had lots of fun making things with them

-a photo album with pictures of friends and family

-a length of yarn and some tiny clothespins (from the dollar store) - we hung the photos from the album up, and took them down, and hung them up, and took them down...

User Tag List