Incessant talking - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 07-09-2002, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is this typical of young children? My 5 1/2 yr. old talks non stop all the time. If I walk out front with the garbage, he leans out the screen door and continues talking to me while I'm taking it out. He talks in the car. He stands next to me while I work on the computer and talks. He talks while he eats. He repeats himself. He asks the same questions dozens of times.

He is very smart, and sometimes I like listening to his thoughts. But I don't really feel capable of tuning in and listening constantly! When I tune him out, his feelings are hurt. When I tell him "I can't listen right now," he either continues to talk anyway, or he complains that it is too quiet.

Playing music sometimes helps a little.

Anyway, is this normal? Do all little kids do this?
#2 of 16 Old 07-09-2002, 05:08 PM

Perfectly normal in our house I have two kids, both are big talker My dd (11) has tone down a bit as she is an avid reader too but ds (almost 5) can go non-stop from getting up in the morning to going to bed at night ild he even talk in his sleep sometimes :

I have to confess that sometimes I wish I could turn their switch off and get a break but, usually, I like the fact that they are expressing themselves, being curious and wanting to know everything they can! Oh, and by the way, ds is expressing himself since he was 5 months old I broke up in tears when I heard him say "mama" and reaching for me with is little arms

We have a joke here saying that I got them vax with a record player's needle :LOL

Valérie   
#3 of 16 Old 07-09-2002, 09:51 PM

My 6 year old is also a non-stop talker, (I always say he said his first word at 11 mos and hasn't shu up since) but he does have a neurolgical condition and developmental delays. As long as your son has appropriate eye contact,appropriate conversational skills, can answer questions, and has an age appropriare grasp of personal space and body language (these are some of the things my son has big problems with) he is probably just fine.
#4 of 16 Old 07-12-2002, 11:48 PM

Our kids sing incessantly, and they are rarely all singing the same song at the same time. Apparently the next stage is sullen teenager, so let's enjoy the noise now!
#5 of 16 Old 08-08-2002, 07:41 AM

It's my understanding that little kids don't have the ability to just think in their heads like adults do. Whatever comes to mind they have to say out loud. This is actually very healthy, bc most adults have a continuous dialogue going on in their heads that prevents them from giving their full attention to what they are doing. Imagine the peace children must feel when they aren't talking and there is silence in their little heads, aaaaah. That's more than 3 years of meditation classes could do for me.

Btw, my 4 year old never shuts up and it's utterly exhuasting!
#6 of 16 Old 08-08-2002, 09:46 AM

I have THREE non-stop talkers. I have almost mastered the ability to listen & respond to 3 conversations at once! I'm really working with them on only one talking at a time but that's not going well LOL My girls literally talk 24 hours a day. All 3 even talk in their sleep. That's funny because they actually have conversations in their sleep! I should tape them some night so they can hear!

It drives me batty, but it's just the way they are! I'm a talker too, but I *do* have quiet times. I'm hoping these will develop as the girls get older.
#7 of 16 Old 08-08-2002, 12:00 PM

My youngest just turned 5 and sounds just like yours! All three of mine have gone through this at about this age. It's hard to take, but it does get better with age.
#8 of 16 Old 08-08-2002, 11:58 PM

Our 10 year old is the biggest talker, she goes non-stop, too. The 2 year old isn't far behind her. The others are quieter but have no problem holding up their end of the chatter when they are in the mood.

When the toddler was a baby, there were times I really just needed a few minutes of quiet. One of the hardest times for me is when I'm trying to get the finishing touches on dinner and 2 or 3 or 4 of them (the 15 year old son is usually otherwise occupied) are in the kitchen with me all trying to ask me things or tell me things while I'm trying to figure out what I have to do next. Sometimes I'll just hold up my hands and say "I need a minute please" and they'll stop talking so I can figure out what I'm doing and as soon as I do I say "ok, what were we talking about?" and off we go again.
Sue
#9 of 16 Old 08-09-2002, 06:15 PM

I have a 5 1/2 year old that is NEVER quiet. If she isn't talking to me, her sister, her dad or anyone else, she is talking to herself or her dolls. If she tires of talking, she sings. If she tires of singing, she hums. The other day she was growling like a Tiger because she was tired of words (that is what SHE said). Let's see, what else . . . oh, she sings while she eats. There is NEVER a break!
#10 of 16 Old 08-09-2002, 08:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have heard this could be a sign of an allergy. My youngest came out talking and never stoppes. If she can't think of anything to say she will just pick 2-4 words and repeat them over and over. . SOme kids though just derive thier strength from social interaction and must talk to survive.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#11 of 16 Old 08-09-2002, 08:42 PM

My brother talks non-stop, but he is 33! And, unfortunately, I think it is pathological of something else.

If you have a chance, try a google search on "lachesis" "homeopathic". One of the keynotes of lachesis is incessant talking.

I think, like the others here, that it is normal for a child. But, you might be interested in this info anyway.

Blessings,

Jean

Jean, happy HS mom to Peter (5), Daniel (9) and Lucie (2) and also someone new... baby.gif
#12 of 16 Old 08-09-2002, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

What sort of allergy?
#13 of 16 Old 08-10-2002, 01:05 AM

I was just thinking about this today. We were in the car and my daughter(3.5) was just talking and talking. I kept asking her please for just one minute don't say anything I was trying to drive(I was almost out of gasing and totally stressed trying to make it to the gas station). She couldn't stop!! She also talks really loud, all of the time(I have been told I do this too, maybe it's genetic).
She does have some really amazing things to say, but I wonder sometimes if it puts ds(almost 5) in her shadow. He is just the opposite of her, so mellow...go with the flow.
I don't know.

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
#14 of 16 Old 08-11-2002, 01:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I can't find it now (of course) but i read it in "Is This Your Child" by Dr. Doris Rapp. It is a book about allergies especially ones that effect behavior and brain function but have few outer symptoms. Everything from food to environmental factors. The book will drive you crazy if you are the sort of person to uncontrolably self diagnose but is intreting.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#15 of 16 Old 08-11-2002, 01:37 AM

My 5 1/2 year old dd has been through her phases, but generally she's more of an observer than a talker. She's not antisocial though and we have great conversations.

My 3 1/2 year old, however, talks incessently.

A typical conversation:

Me: Let's get ready to go to swimming lessons.

Her: Where are we going?

Me: Swimming lessons.

[on our way]

Me: Swimming lessons.

Her: Are we going to swimming lessons?

Me: Yes, I told you we are going to swimming lessons.

Her: Why?

Me: [explain why]

Arghhh!!!!!!!!!
#16 of 16 Old 08-11-2002, 08:34 AM

I have often said I feel like I'm in the middle of a little league game: "Hey Mommmy Hey Mommmy Hey Mommmy Hey Mommmy Hey Mommmy Hey Mommmy Hey Mommmy Hey Mommmy Hey Mommmy Hey Mommmy Hey Mommmy Hey Mommmy Hey Mommmy Hey Mommmy Hey Mommmy Hey Mommmy Hey Mommmy Hey Mommmy Hey Mommmy Hey Mommmy"

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page