At what age does empathy start? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-20-2002, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am not sure if I should be worried about my 8-year-old stepson. I have known him since he was 2 and I have never known him to care about anyone else. I didn't expect it before but by this age, I would think that he could acknowledge that others have feelings. When my 8-mos-old daughter is crying from teething or bumping her head, he tells her to be quiet and that her crying is bothering him or he calls her a bad girl. She is always bad if she's crying, no matter what the reason. I was having a bad day once and crying and he didn't even ask what was wrong, he just turned up the TV louder. He never wants to help anyone out, only if he is going to get paid for it. I could understand his behavior if he was neglected as a child but it was quite the opposite. I think his mom is a big problem because she tells him he is better than anyone and he has that attitude all the time. He has recieved everything he ever wanted and he is never satisified. He also lies very often. I am not sure what to do. Empathy and helping others is very important to me and he is very far from that. Am I expecting too much from him for his age?
#2 of 5 Old 07-20-2002, 08:49 PM

He sounds like an 8 year old suffering with low self esteem. It sounds like he is disconnected to you and baby as well. Maybe it is time for some family counseling since he needs help finding his new place in the family as big brother. Once he works through his being disconnected to others, he will likely stop some of the negative behavior. I would not blame his mom, he has a lot on his plate for a kid to deal with. Hard to compete with a new baby and IMO 8 years old is a rough time for a boy regardless.
#3 of 5 Old 07-20-2002, 10:35 PM

I agree with Vanna's mom, he sounds like there are some issues that cause the behaviours that you are describing. I'd seek some family counselling (it's never just the child who has 'issues' - it is the whole complex family relationship that needs examining.)

Hope you find some support and help!
#4 of 5 Old 07-26-2002, 02:44 PM

What does DH have to say about this? Or is he aware of it?

- Amy
#5 of 5 Old 08-07-2002, 11:01 PM

I agree with the others, sounds like there are some issues there that need to be explored...or he is used to everything revolving around him and miffed that it no longer does.

Our children have shown some empathy as young as 18-24 months...how many times have we all seen a toddler unhappy and tugging on Mom's (or someone else's) sleeve because a baby is crying. Or they pat your back and hug you if they think you're sad.

I hope you're able to find out what's going on with him and an easy solution to help!
Sue

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page