HELP! Masturbating & role playing - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 07-22-2002, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I posted this on the parenting forum, and decided to post it here so I could reach more of you for help.

My son is 3 years and 10 months old. We have always practiced attachment parenting, I am a SAHM and he's still BF. He is a well adjusted, kind and very manageable child.

My question is rather complicated. I know exploring genitalia and masturbation is very normal at this age, but my son just started doing it more frequently and I have a specific worry. I have been training to become a prenatal educator, and since he is always with me, he has attended with me to my workshops, has seen many videos about women giving birth and the subject has been discussed with him as something very normal. But recently, he's started to role play "giving birth" and touches himself while "making up stories about giving birth" as he puts it.

As I analyze it, I think he started role playing and for obvious reasons handled his penis during the "birth" and since then he has been relating the "birth stories" with masturbating. I can't help but find this quite disturbing and have lost sleep wondering if we have made a mistake by exposing him to labor and birth videos, or if his masturbating to this is just a stage that will pass.
I would appreciate any advice on this matter. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 08-23-2002, 04:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know you posted this a long time ago, but I just happened upon it and had to respond. I know it's a serious topic, but I totally laughed out loud when I read it because my daughter does the EXACT same thing. She has no other concept of anything "sexual" in terms of her genitalia--the only thing she knows happens is birth (I gave birth to her brother a year ago--she is 5)--she has been really fascinated by birth since then, and now plays the "birthing game" where she moves a doll from her abdomen down thru her legs--which happens to press you know where. It's pretty obvoious what's happening. We just tell her that it's normal to want those feelings, but that it needs to be done in private.
What's interesting about your situation is that you have a son. For me, my daughter associating pleasant feelings with birth is a good thing, but it would be an adjustment in thought for it to be my son doing the same thing. I don't know what I would think! Maybe he'll be an "ecstatic birth" educator someday...
I have no words of wisdom; I just had to write you and let you know you're not the only one.

Juniper

User Tag List