for all the night owl families - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 07-28-2002, 01:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My kids used to sleep from 9 pm until 7 or 8 am. Recently (and I am sure the summertime and also the recent full moon have something to do with it) they have been staying up until 10 pm. They are starting to sleep in later- like 8 or 9 am, so they are still getting as much sleep. At first, I was doing everything humanly possible to get them to sleep sooner, but it isn't working, and now I am starting to see that maybe this is not such a big deal to our family. My husband has a long commute right now so he gets home late (often after they are in bed), and we homeschool so they don't have to be up at any certain time. The one problem for me, is that I really need some alone time with dh. I suppose if I were to sleep in later, I could stay up later with him, but he can't sleep any later because he still has to be to work early (sometimes he gets up at 4 am for work).

I think I just need some reassurance, please tell me about your family schedules and why they work for you.
#2 of 8 Old 07-30-2002, 04:34 PM

Right now our boys are generally in bed by 8-ish, but for a couple of years our oldest (now 4 1/2) didn't go to bed until 10 or 10:30. He didn't have to be anywhere in the morning and neither did I. Like your kids, he was getting enough sleep, so in our family it worked just fine. Other people sometimes looked at me funny when I said how late he was up and I would always launch into this explanation of why...

But I don't think the position of the hands on the clock (at bedtime and wake up time) matters if the child is getting enough hours of sleep. Especially if there isn't school or something to get up for in the morning. (Incidentally, I found the way to "stop it" is to start waking them up earlier in the morning... Grumpos at first, but it gets them in bed sooner in the evenings. Which we eventually did when #2 came along and when we wanted some time for ourselves in the evenings - which is very nice, too.)

I think if it's working for you, it is just fine!!!
#3 of 8 Old 08-01-2002, 10:32 AM

The only problem with "late binges" is that cuts into your time with DH.

Otherwise, you get to sleep later in the morning than most mothers in America. Pat yourself on the back. (I do ... pat myself on the back, that is ... every time they sleep past 8 )

- Amy
#4 of 8 Old 08-01-2002, 10:55 AM

Our schedule is similar to yours Khrisday. Ds (5) stays up until about 10 pm (though sometimes he's up until 11) but he always sleeps until 9 or 9:30 every morning. This works for us because we homeschool and we both seem to feel more rested on this schedule than when we go to bed early and get up before 8 am. The only time we go to bed earlier is when we've had an especially active day and just feel worn out....then we go to bed around 9 pm.

I also miss spending alone time with DH. So, on the weekends I try to get up after Ds is asleep (when we go to bed at 10, he's always asleep within 10 minutes!) and just hang out with dh for a while. We usually watch a movie or something and then I'm back in bed around midnight and still get enough sleep.

We get strange looks sometimes too when people hear how late ds stays up, but it doesn't bother me. We've tried it both ways (early bedtime vs. late) and this works best for us. Besides, the folks that seem most bothered by it are the ones who have to get up at 6 am to get kids ready for school and themselves ready for work...so, I don't think it's easy for them to understand how different it is when you homeschool.

If your schedule works for you and your family, stick with it. And just try to sneak in some time with dh whenever you can.

faeriemom
#5 of 8 Old 08-01-2002, 12:17 PM

Dd is only 8mths old but she has been pretty much in the same sleep cycle since she was born. She goes to bed @ 9:30-10 and wakes 2-3 times to nurse but doesnt get 'up' until 9-9:30. I like it dh likes it to be able to spend a good couple of hours in the evening with her.
#6 of 8 Old 08-05-2002, 06:19 PM
kel

khrisday,

I feel like I'm in almost the same boat as you. We homeschool, I've got a 3 yr. old, 6 yr. old and 1 1/2 yr. old, and my dh has a long commute and comes home late. With summer here the kids have been staying up much later and on average I don't get them to sleep until at least 9:30, often 10 or so. I feel like it really does cut into the little time that I have with dh, and he has to get up early for work, too.

I'm sort of letting it slide a little since it's summertime and light later at night and just harder to get the kids to bed "on time", but when I actually feed them dinner at a reasonable time, and they get up early enough in the morning, then those things obviously get them to bed earlier that night. Also, getting ready for bed a good hour before I want them to go to sleep - getting undressed, having a snack, brushing teeth, reading stories - that helps, too. And, with the two older ones, if I help them get ready for bed and then let them read in bed with the door shut for pretty much as long as they want - I can go downstairs and hang out with dh and a lot of the time the kids will end up just drifting off.

xo - Kelly

Handmade dress shop owner and mama of five - our littlest just born in December! ♥

#7 of 8 Old 08-06-2002, 10:12 PM

DH works from 1-10pm, so he doesn't get home until 10:30 most nights. We just stay up until we fall asleep. DS is 3, but sometimes we are up until 12 or 1. We just sleep late in the mornings. Last night, we gave him his new bike at 11:00 and took him to the church parking lot next to ride it. I'm sure people thought we were nuts.

We get a lot of comments from friends about our schedule or lack of one, but it works for us. He still wakes up to nurse 2-3 times a night and sleeps with us. We wake up between 9-11 the next day.

It works for us.
#8 of 8 Old 08-06-2002, 10:35 PM

Hey Khris,

My dd stays up until midnight on a regular basis. Well, it is summer. Works for me because she sleeps in and so I get a few hours of alone time in the morning. During the rest of the year we shoot for 10pm as a bedtime, although I don't usually send her to bed.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page