moving with 3 1/2 yo across country - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 07-29-2002, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In three weeks, my family (myself, my husband, 3 1/2 yo girl, and 2 month boy) are moving from the pacific NW to the DC area. I am very concerned about the effect of the move on my daughter. She is old enough to know her way around our neighborhood and has good friends she will be leaving. She has always had a hard time with even small changes in her life. Does anyone have advice or experience that can help me to make the move a good experience for her?
#2 of 3 Old 08-04-2002, 08:23 AM

We moved out of stat when my dd was 2. WE referred to it as an "adventure". We went by car, and her grandparents came to help us move. We made lots of stops for her to run around. Once we got to our new home, we immediately found some of her toys that had been packed, so something was familiar. And even tho we were busy moving, we made a point to find a new park right off. Had some special new surprises for along the way too.

My dh left the military when she was 7 mo old. One thing they always told us was to be understanding, and let the kids know you miss your old home to, but there will be new places to go and friends to meet. Also, my mom moved us around a bunch (new schools every 2 yrs!) -- so from experience, your attitude will help too.

My dd was younger, but I do want to say we moved during potty training, and it ended that! So, you may experience some regression.

Good Luck w/ your move!
#3 of 3 Old 08-04-2002, 08:40 AM

Prepare, prepare, prepare!

I would talk up the move to the kids- show them pictures on a map of where you'll be moving to- check out books from the library both about the DC area and about moving (I remember a cute one called Gila Monsters Meet You at the Airport). Make them a countdown calendar so they can see when the move is happening, and I would have her make some special gifts for the people she is leaving behind to give them when she says goodbye.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page