When Did Your Kids Ask About Sex? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-06-2002, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My ds is 6 yo and we recently found out we are pregnant with our second baby.

Later during the day, after we had told him,he said "Mom, did Todd (my dh) do the weanie dance?" I asked him if this is how he thought babies were made and did someone tell him this? He said "no". I asked him some more questions surrounding his question and he kept saying "no". I think he was embarrased after he had said it. I told him, like I always do, that he can ask me anything. But he didn't really want to say or talk about it anymore, so I didn't push it.

So, now that I'm pregnant and he is 6 yo, I have a feeling that more questions will be coming. How do you explain things?

Thanks~

Lisa

Lisa, Todd, Dane and Amber: & :::
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2002, 12:55 PM

Truthfully. You have the perfect opportunity to set him straight now. Dd1 was 5 when I got pregnant the second time, and was at the birth, so she knows all about it. She doesn't know about recreational sex, but she does know exactly how babies are made. He will ask when he is ready.
Old 08-06-2002, 01:06 PM

DD was 4 when DS was born last year. She was at all exams and the birth. She has "walked in" in the past on us but never realized it (so only we were upset, lol) We are often naked here and being DH doesn't realize he is NOT a pro wrestler, she never questioned it. As we had DS we attemopted to explain sex but it was too much for her, she just wasn't ready for details of how the baby was made. So we follow her lead. She knows body parts, all about pregnancy and childbirth, but the act of "sex"...nah..too much to comprehend for her little brain. But by age 6, I am sure she will have heard more from schoolmates and I will have to explain in detail.

But follow HIS LEAD! Don't press his weenie dance coment as he might get embarrassed and close up. Give a few days and then casually (in the car maybe?) ask if he knows how babies are mad...and go from there! GOOD LUCK!
Old 08-08-2002, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your input!!! I did go out yesterday and found a kids book that talks about mommy's having baby's and a bit about conception and how that occurs (in very gentle terms). I bought him that and a great book of an atlas (he loves geography!). Thought I'd give him a "Congrats... Your going to be a big brother" present! Hope it enjoys it!

Warmly~

Lisa

Lisa, Todd, Dane and Amber: & :::
Old 08-08-2002, 06:55 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Lisamarie, I think getting a book on the subject is a great idea! Offer to read it to him (if he can't read yet) and don't push it if he's not interested, just keep it around for when he's ready. It's good to have the book so he knows there are ways to get this info other than asking questions, which he may find embarrassing.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

Old 08-13-2002, 04:34 PM

Our sex talk stared when DD was very young (maybe 2?) when she looked at pictures of our honeymoon at Disneyland and asked "Why didn't you take me?" My reply "I did! You were an egg, waiting in line!" This discussion took care of two issues: that females carry all their eggs their whole life and that women carry 1/2 of what's necessary to make a whole baby. They even talked about being eggs next to each other and waiting for Daddy to give the sperm and that's the other 1/2 but still no questions on how the two got together. I'm happy to postpone this part as long as I can!!!
They have *just* discovered that marriage is not a necessary component (darn!) they really thought it was part of the recipe!

Congrats on the newest affirmation of love and life!!! I am soooo jealous, but completely inspired as well

Always

~diana google me: hahamommy. Unschooling Supermama to Hayden :Super Cool Girlfriend to Scotty . Former wife to Mitch & former mama to Hannahbear

User Tag List