Finally a success! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-12-2004, 03:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know I hardly ever post - and never here ...

But I just had to - because I'm so happy! Been working so hard - following the anger threads, etc. - writing notes and really just getting all over myself all the time My dd is super stressed due to our move and one of the ways she manifests stress is to hurt me - like several times a day. And she doesn't just whack me - she gets totally crazy out of control and really just can't stop - it's often a total attack that lasts for several minutes. I move her into a safe place and on the way she's biting, scratching, kicking me, whamming her head back into me. My husband in lighter moments calls her the feral child (between ourselves!).

So when she does this is PISSES ME OFF! Big time. I usually get real mad and yell and go on and on and toss her into the room rather than setting her into the room, etc. Really I've just been using my resources to keep from hitting back. She's a big strong girl and often times fight or flight is hard to quell on my behalf.

But today she was having a SUPER hard time and full out assaulted me at the park in front of what felt like the entire bug-eyed world and I kept my cool! I am so stoked!!! And she did it again at bedtime and I kept my cool!

Feels so great cuz I know I can do it!

My goal is to get through this move connected (unlike last time ).

Thanks for listening,
Eve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2004, 02:05 PM

Congrats, Eve!!

It was very difficult for me to stop myself from reacting in anger, just like my parents did, everytime my child got angry and threw a huge fit. I finally realized I needed to unlearn certain things I learned from my parents. I wasn't angry at my child, but at myself for not being able to control my child. And once I quit trying so hard to be in control of this little person, and managed to control my reaction to her fits, the fits became so much easier to deal with. When I was able to control my emotional response, my child learned to keep her cool, too, even when she's angry for whatever reason.
Old 10-12-2004, 02:26 PM

Awesome! There is a huge diffrence in my son when I act in anger or keep my cool. Its a lot harder to keep your cool in stressful situations but so worth it! Hang in there!

User Tag List