Observations of 3 ~ Support group for parents of Three Year Olds! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 134 Old 10-20-2004, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
I've noticed lots of parents struggling with their 3 year old children. Should we form a support group? LOL!

Something that has helped me is to take a week or two and really observe the situation.

Should we do a thread on observations or just break right into emotional support for the parents?

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 134 Old 10-20-2004, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

Here are some links to just some of the recent threads about three:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=207745

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=207344

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=202609

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=207295

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=205751

#3 of 134 Old 10-20-2004, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter

I'll start with an observation.

DC and I are very attached. I remember being pregnant and worrying that I wouldn't get enough time alone because I would have to care for a baby all day. But I never needed to be alone or I was alone because DC and I were one. This continued well through two until now.

It seems like over night that DC became a totally separate person and it’s a ride for both of us.

#4 of 134 Old 10-20-2004, 09:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
:
DD will be three in January, thought I'd get a head start
If it's anything like 2 1/2 ..............

Mama to 3:
#5 of 134 Old 10-20-2004, 09:23 PM

Hey mama!
I have twins who are going to be 4 in count htem...........2 days!!!!!!

I have plenty to discuss, and will once I get my butt back here. I must make dinner......
#6 of 134 Old 10-20-2004, 10:01 PM

My DD turned three a month and a half ago, and in that time, I swear, her imagination has exploded. She tells me lots of stories now, about mermaids and monsters and how our cat (our big inhouse monster deterrent) likes to sleep on her bed to keep the monsters out, and how the mermaids swim all together in the bathtub with her at night. It's really cool and it makes me so happy to have her tell me the bed time stories now. She's also almost potty trained (late? maybe not...) and she is just an amazing person over all. We have had a slight increase in temper tantrums and when we tell her "the answer is no, you cannot do (fill in the blank)." She will reply "the answer is NOT no, it is YES!" That's a tough one to counter. The independence is really great.
#7 of 134 Old 10-20-2004, 10:20 PM

my daughter is 3 and she is a perfect angel. i never have any trouble with her, she is so willing to do whatever i want her to do.

NOT!!!!

Somedays I think I got it all figured out, then she totally throws one at me. I have to think of all these hellishly creative ways to do what we NEED to do, & forget all the other stuff like trying to shop. you'll see me at the grocery store at 11pm, without kids I can't take it. by the time we get through one aisle, she & her 7yo brother are either running, hysterical, and usually crying...so emotional.

i love her, she's so my heart. but. lord, sign me up for this thread.
#8 of 134 Old 10-20-2004, 10:29 PM

Hi!
Jenny is three and the most stubborn little person you'd ever want to meet. It doesn't matter what I want her to do, she will refuse to do it. And the more I try to get her to do anything, the more she will fight me about it! Just when I think I can't stand being her mother anymore, she goes and does something like make up a song about her baby sister to the tune of "Pop Goes the Weasel" and has me rolling with laughter
#9 of 134 Old 10-21-2004, 12:31 AM

Oh yes, isn't three just the most magical age of all! DD is 3 1/2. My 6 yo has always been a severly "high needs" child and I honestly don't know how we survived him being three. It was really, really bad. So when I try to compare dd's 3 to that, it doesn't seem as bad at all (although we're not supposed to be comparing siblings even in our heads are we? ). She's always been spirited but, while I've become very frustrated with her before, I'd never been at my wit's end with her before she turned three. I try to remind myself that this really is as hard as it gets (3). That helps. I guess it's like crowning. The labor is all intense and challenging but once you get past crowning the worst is over.

Sorry to sound so negative. I'm not having the easiest time with my 3 yo & 6 yo lately. : I'm here for support though. Whatever this thread can give me I'll take it. And on a better day, hopefully I'll have something to give too.
#10 of 134 Old 10-21-2004, 12:37 AM

3 is soooooooooooo hard! I swear, on her 3rd birthday she forgot how to say, "Yes." If I'm lucky, she nods. But she is so full of life--sometimes I think she'll go straight from 3 to 15.

Angie, mama to Anna '01, Mia '04, and Leif '08 and angel1.gif '03  angel1.gif'07 angel1.gif'12.Expecting someone new in 7/13! pos.gif

h20homebirth.gif familybed2.gif bftoddler.gif homeschool.gif  novaxnocirc.gif

#11 of 134 Old 10-21-2004, 01:21 AM

3 would be a bit easier if there wasn't a newborn in the family as well. I'm finding myself WORN OUT by day's end, and to make matters worse, my 3 year-old runs circles around me from sun up to sun down, with NO naps in between and a thousand questions instead. Gotta love him, though. Dearly, in fact (man, he's bright), but I just need to learn to cope.

And it's been difficult to really chill with the new baby. I should schedule some more one-on-one...I miss those first couple of days with him, by ourselves without much interruption, in the hospital! So intimate, quiet, no kid jumping on the bed beside me.
#12 of 134 Old 10-21-2004, 01:31 AM

Oh...can I join in too! My ds turned 3 in July and well...life has become even more interesting. Ds1 is doing well lately, but still not potty trained (I am trying to be laid back about that though). He really is a sweetheart, but is so intense. For example just now he asked me if he could take a pic of his daddy and I said "not right now" and he hit me saying "WHY!". Ugh, sometimes I feel like I just let things happen b/c I am at such a loss as to how to handle some of his challenging behaviors.
#13 of 134 Old 10-21-2004, 06:04 AM

Three is turning out to be a really umm...Unique age for us. Support group may definately be in order.

It may be an odd support group though with topics like:

How to duck, dodge and dive under furniture when your 3 year old has a fit and of course still be emotionally there for her.

How to remain supportive of your 3 year old's imagination when your walls are "painted" with olive oil.

How to help your 3 year old learn how to use GD with her parents.

How to grab a coffee while your 3 year old aka Dinosaur Girl growls/lunges at the coffeeshop patrons and of course eats using her giant jaws without using her claws.

I could go on but this is where I am at today.
#14 of 134 Old 10-21-2004, 06:14 AM

Huh. I'm digging three. Maybe her change is yet to come, but she's been pretty steady personality wise. The only thing that's happened lately that makes me want to run screaming through the streets is the dreaded: WHY? repeated ad nauseum.
Her imagination has been vivid for a while now. She tells the wildest stories. Just last week she was "using" the cell phone and was jibber jabbering in some alien tongue and I asked what language she was speaking. She looked at me like I was a dumbass and replied "I'm talkin' to a hippopotamus." Then she turned her back to me and resumed the conversation.
She told DH the other night that "A responsible parent wouldn't do that." We both just died laughing. She's a hoot. I'm making a point of using bigger words with her to see if and when she integrates them into her vocabulary. The other day she said "this crocodile is very insistent about going with us." I love it. I think Three is cool.
#15 of 134 Old 10-21-2004, 12:04 PM

Sign me up! Three is cool and there are moments when it's wonderful but I am finding it waaay harder than the so-called terrible twos!
#16 of 134 Old 10-21-2004, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lula
Three is turning out to be a really umm...Unique age for us. Support group may definately be in order.

It may be an odd support group though with topics like:

How to duck, dodge and dive under furniture when your 3 year old has a fit and of course still be emotionally there for her.

How to remain supportive of your 3 year old's imagination when your walls are "painted" with olive oil.

How to help your 3 year old learn how to use GD with her parents.

How to grab a coffee while your 3 year old aka Dinosaur Girl growls/lunges at the coffeeshop patrons and of course eats using her giant jaws without using her claws.

I could go on but this is where I am at today.
Does your dd know my ds?
#17 of 134 Old 10-21-2004, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

Wow! What a great thread. I love to hear everyone's experiences both good and...I'm a fan of frank conversations about our kids and our experiences with them. It's like therapy!

I'll start with the good: stories/imagination: Have you all had some success with harnessing this? DC tells stories as well but I get the feeing that maybe I could be doing more with this for her. Suggestions?

What I want to know is why is three so hard for some of our kids and why didn't I hear about this? I've heard of the 'terrible twos' but never the 'tumultuous threes'. It kinda bugs me because I would feel some comfort knowing that this is just the stereotypically difficult age. Plus, I feel like I'd get a bigger break from the community (and my family who I'm visiting next month), yk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain
you'll see me at the grocery store at 11pm, without kids
I can relate 100%!!

I wish you could all see my face when I DC does some kind of crazy freak out thing. It's probably similar to when a bird poops on my head...like "OMG, what?!?"

I’m struggling with negations. DC loves to make 'deals' and is perfectly reasonable when we're coming up with the compromise but not long after. I've learned my lesson, kinda...

I'll end on a good note, DC is really becoming social with young people. Playdates are actually helpful because her friends seem to actually like making and eating pretend cookies. I seriously beg to borrow other children.

#18 of 134 Old 10-21-2004, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

Charmarty ~ congrats on getting through, btw!

I like your sig...time isn't working for me either ~ let me know if it's something about three?

#19 of 134 Old 10-21-2004, 05:54 PM

My son turned three in August and starting at about 2 3/4 you could really see a change in behavior. He became more empathetic, more emotional and more aware of his emotions, more creative and more imaginative. All of these things have meant more of challenge in everyday parenting. . Oh, and he started preschool in September.

I love that we can really do things together now. He loves to help cook and clean. He likes to empty the small trash can or throw the laundry in machine. I like that he can sings songs with me since he knows the words. I like that he has favorite books that he memorized. I love his spontaneous "I love you!" and his "I'm sorry Mama". I love that I can call home and we can really talk on the phone. All in all 3 is a wonderment

Though there are plenty of hard days too!! Some days are beyonf hard. Hitting, pinching, spitting, screaming, throwing. The WORKS! The thing that gets me through most of them is to pick my struggles/battles. Before I react I ask myself what’s the worst that can happen? Unless the answer is DANGER/DEATH/DISMEMBERMANT ( ) of any person or other living thing I choose not make a huge deal about whatever the action. So water gets on the floor, he misses a meal; he wears the same thing for day in a row. In the grand scheme of things is that big of deal? If the answer is no I let it go. I find that when the power struggles stop so does the undesirable actions. Maybe not right away but they do. Of course we do still have rules but they are about important things (to our family) and I try not to make them too arbitrary.

I also try to have as much of a “yes” environment as possible. If you can cut back on the “No’s” it’s much easier to relax. So we have a big plastic mat by the sink and the tub so water play is easier to clean up. We have big baskets in playroom so clean up is easy. We have gates up so off limit areas stay off limits. The Tupperware, pots/pans etc are in the low cupboards and the knives and glass stuff are up high. There is little to no danger that my son can get into in the kitchen, family, breakfast and mudroom so we both can enjoy ourselves without the constant: NO! Not that! Don’t touch! Leave it alone!

I find when I get mad at an action I am often really just mad at myself. "Why did I leave that glass where he could knock it over?" :

Boy I have been rambling! Sorry to have go on and on!

Pardon me while I puke.gif

#20 of 134 Old 10-21-2004, 06:10 PM

Oh sign me up for this group! I feel more challenged now than I ever have. When I tell him "no" my son's favorite come back is "well, I said yes!"

I bought the book "Playful Parenting" at a recent LLL conference. So far I am loving it! I'm only on chapter 3 and I've tried a few of the suggestions. The past two days have gone a bit smoother. The hard part is remembering to "loosen up and play." By far the best parenting book I've read so far.
#21 of 134 Old 10-21-2004, 06:47 PM

Thanks IdentityCM! One more day....

My siggy does in fact refer a tiny bit to my girls being 3. A year ago too many things were all happening at the same time, that phrase is what helped me keep a sense of humor about it.
You asked~
Quote:
What I want to know is why is three so hard for some of our kids and why didn't I hear about this?

Well, I have asked and asked the same ? To many ppl I meet and discuss the 3 situation. The best answer I can come up with is, That 3 was SO hard that everybody must still be in shock!
#22 of 134 Old 10-21-2004, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain

Somedays I think I got it all figured out, then she totally throws one at me. I have to think of all these hellishly creative ways to do what we NEED to do, & forget all the other stuff like trying to shop. you'll see me at the grocery store at 11pm, without kids I can't take it. by the time we get through one aisle, she & her 7yo brother are either running, hysterical, and usually crying...so emotional.

i love her, she's so my heart. but. lord, sign me up for this thread.
I feel you mama. This is my issue as well. Soon as I find something that works . . . the next day it doesn't and no one bothered to inform me of this change. :LOL
#23 of 134 Old 10-21-2004, 11:00 PM

Thanks ICM for starting this thread. It seems your little idea that came to be because of my thread has been a success. What JOY to know I am not alone on this 3 y/o thing.

My son is spunky, smart, imaginative, head strong, a go getter, a ball of energy . . . . . add those all up and put them in a 3 y/o body with a 3 y/o mind and things can get interesting. Right now my ds is climbing on the computer desk so he can drive his tractor.

Today was a decent day . . . . not too bad. I hate that he can't be more patient. I know at 3 they aren't able to be but, with a younger brother, I can't always do things NOW. He doesn't seem to get that. He demands something as I am nursing the baby and I tell him to give me a minute. Well, that's not good enough so then he has to get destructive, or throw something, or hit me . . . . anyone else having this issue?? I so need to know what to do in situations like this?

UGH! Got to go. DS just hit DH with a play rake. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr
#24 of 134 Old 10-22-2004, 01:09 AM

My ds isn't 3 yet he's 2.5...but I need HELP!!!! He started the whole "terrible 2s" at about 16 months and still going strong. I hear 3 can be worse... I can survive right??

intensity-too-- I was reading your post in parenting issues and thats how I found this thread. My son sounds like yours. He is constantly on the move. Constantly in to everything. His new thing is to do what he knows is a no-no and then go, "I sit, sowwy" We ask him to sit down so he can calm down when he gets too wild. Otherwise there is no talking to him. He even has the apology down! I would say you wouldn't believe the things this kid has done but I bet you would...

My ds1 is terrific. He is super loving and affectionate. He tries really hard to help. But then he turns around and does nothing but kick and scream and throw things. It really isn't safe for Bryce and it scares me!

I'm going to try diet elimination. Anyone else?? I think the first thing to go is sugar. But its going to be hard!

Single Mom to 2 amazing little men. T(7) and B(5)
#25 of 134 Old 10-22-2004, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intensity_too
I know at 3 they aren't able to be but, with a younger brother, I can't always do things NOW. He doesn't seem to get that. He demands something as I am nursing the baby and I tell him to give me a minute. Well, that's not good enough so then he has to get destructive, or throw something, or hit me . . . . anyone else having this issue?? I so need to know what to do in situations like this?

Same exact problem here!.. Its gotten to the point that when I even look like I am going to ask dd1 to wait or be quiet she starts yelling and saying she needs me right now. The only thing I have tried that works occasionally is to ask her to do something she likes. Like, when I'm nursing dd2 I'll say, "go turn on the sink and fill up the blue bowl for the cat!" Or something like that. As long as it is a physical activity that seems valid she wont hit or pull on me or dd2.

Ah, they need me. We just got a dog and a cat this week to add to the madness!

Hang in there!

Angie, mama to Anna '01, Mia '04, and Leif '08 and angel1.gif '03  angel1.gif'07 angel1.gif'12.Expecting someone new in 7/13! pos.gif

h20homebirth.gif familybed2.gif bftoddler.gif homeschool.gif  novaxnocirc.gif

#26 of 134 Old 10-23-2004, 04:45 AM

Sign me up! I just want to know who this kid is and what he did with my son. I mean whoever thought of terrible two really didn't have kids, because two was a walk in the park, and I thought I had this parenting thing mastered and then a month before his 3rd birthday it was like some other kid took my son's place. My DH and I were in the other room for 10 minutes max the other day while my kids were watching a video, or so I thought, I come out and my son has found a Sharpie and drew all over the dining room table, both the leather and fabric couch which we were planning to sell to make money we desperately need, the wall, the door, the big screen TV. I mean I didn't want to look anywhere else for fear he did it in some other spot. I mean we had no sibling sivalry until 3 came along. He is SO smart now too. I have always taught preschool and other people's 3 year olds are easy, but my own, man is it hard. I am so scared too because my oldest is really an "easy" kid and his 3 is tough, I can't imagine what my scorpio, focused, rage machine baby is going to be like when he hits three, can I just : and
. Well glad we started this thread, we can share with others that know the joys of raising a three.
#27 of 134 Old 10-23-2004, 12:38 PM

Oh sign me up! My daughter is three and most of the time she's absolutely fabulous. However, I do think that three is one of the hardest things I've ever done. Two was a cakewalk, three is more than a challenge. I think a lot of it is that she now uses logic to argue. It's a 3 year olds form of logic but it's still logic. Sometimes I think she needs anger management training.

Half the time her mantra is "I want to do it by myself," and the other half she has not interest whatsoever. It's a day to day thing.

I'm glad there is this thread and I was really glad to read all of the other posts. I was starting to feel like the world's worst mother because I swear 3 is a phenomenon that no one talks about.
#28 of 134 Old 10-23-2004, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

It was a good day today. Active ingredients: mom's night out last night, playmate and a house cleaned my DH.

Somehow the combination gave me the incentive to be really adventures with DC. We made playdough, I let them each play with one egg in water ~ WAY fun, we went out and ate French fries, went to a playground by the river and even saw a funky anti-nuclear transportation demonstration.

I must say ~ there's hope, mamas!

BUT, this was a high energy day and I put SO much work into the day. I don't know about you all but some days this felicitator role makes me batty!

Apparently, a little time off from working around the house and the 24/7 with Aya really helps.

I'm thinkin' kid swap!

#29 of 134 Old 10-23-2004, 02:36 PM

Ooo Ooo Count me in. DD just turned three last week, and I have been noticing a little more friction around (for the last couple of months, not just the last week!). 2 was also a cakewalk for our family, and DH and I have been surprised by some of the really strong feelings that DD has shown recently. It takes some getting used to.

I'll read more of the discussion and comment more tonight when I have more time.
#30 of 134 Old 10-23-2004, 04:02 PM
bec

I am sooooo glad to hear that it is the age, not the kid!

Katie is 3 years 7 months. I have a love/hate relationship with this age.

She is basically a very sweet, gentle kid. She adores her little sister, which is a godsend.

I love her imagination, her intelligence, her personality, and her thoughts.

She has started preschool this year and is flourishing. She loves it.

But she has discovered how to whine. And, unfortunately, she has discovered just how it makes me. She's also been throwing massive hour long tantrums over nothing. I know, of course, that the catalyst for the outburst really is more about sleep and emotional endurance than anything else, but it is a little difficult to remember that when she is screaming that we gave her the round cheese instead of the string cheese.

We have been on an emotional rollercoaster since Emily arrived. Emily was born with a cleft palate, but it wasn't discovered until she was 5 weeks old. There was a lot of stress and tension while we figured out what was wrong. When we finally figured out what was going on, I started pumping. It took a while to build my supply up, and for months and months, I was literally tied to the pump for hours and hours each day. It was very difficult and I have had to ask for a lot of patience from Katie. To her immense credit, she has responded wonderfully.

Fast forward to 4 weeks ago. One of our neighbor's passed away. His wife is a friend of mine, and his 3.5 year old little girl is a friend of Katie's. While our stress can't begin to compare to their's, it has had a big impact on Katie. She is suddenly very fearful when Daddy goes out. She wants to know where he is at all times. While she hasn't asked if he is going to die, I think it is clear that it is on her mind. To top it all off, 3 weeks ago, Emily had the surgery to repair her cleft palate. I had to be away from Katie for a night so I could stay with Emily. We had a 10 day recovery period that was very difficult. We had family staying from out of town to help out, and while they were indispensible to me, I think it placed even more stress on her. Needless to say, this has been very difficult for Katie, and I think she has had enough.

I feel like we are getting back to the normal angst that tries 3 year olds, but it has been difficult to tell what is her age, and what is her circumstance.

Bec

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!

Tags
Toddlers , Toddler , Child

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page