self dressing - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 12-13-2001, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does your child dress himself/herself....or should I say can they?
My ds (almost 4) won't even really try and I think he could.
#2 of 5 Old 12-13-2001, 10:59 PM

Missgrl, my dd is the same way. Once and a while she'll get partially dressed, especially if it's a dress. Most of the time I either ask her a hundred times to get dressed and then do it, or just do it myself without asking her to.

I guess she likes the attention, and she certainly loves being treated like a baby. I don't know why, it's not like she wasn't babied enough at a younger age!
#3 of 5 Old 12-13-2001, 11:41 PM

My almost 3 dd will get dressed mostly by herself if I lay the clothes on the floor in the right "direction" for her to put them on correctly, but if I don't stay in the room she usually just starts to play instead. It helps if I use something as motivation, not a reward, but an incentive not to dawdle: "When you are dressed we can go play in the backyard." Also, letting her pick out her clothes helps.
#4 of 5 Old 12-14-2001, 12:58 AM
Deb

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
My son resisted getting himself dressed for a long time. He wanted me to help him, so I did. My husband used to tell him he could do it and they'd argue back and forth for 10 minutes before my husband (or I, very aggravated at my husband) would finally help him.

At around 4.5, he decided he could do it all himself. Before that he would sometimes put on his underwear or his pants, but never his shirt. I think that, until he had the shirt thing figured out, he wanted me to be there to assist with everything. One day, he got up before me, got himself dressed and has only asked for help occasionally in the past 10 months or so.
#5 of 5 Old 12-15-2001, 11:10 AM

dd picks out her clothes herself, most definitely! She doesn't like to match, oh what a trajedy that would be ! lol, She puts her pants on, I usually have to help her with her shirt. If she does her shirt. it is most of the time inside out. Oh and if she does dress herself, she won't put on underwear! I always check if we are going out, but at home I let her be.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page