Birthday Games/crafts??? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 08-27-2002, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all you creative moms out there!

My daughter will be 3 in late October, and I am preparing the plan for her party. We live in a rainy state, so for the most part, we'll be inside. I was hoping some of you may have some great ideas for indoor games and maybe some innovative craft project for this agegroup. There will also be older children at the party, so don't feel too limited. I sure would love some ideas, ladies!

One thing you should know is that we are not without financial limitations.

Any ideas? Tell me what has worked well for you! Also, if you have any advice on where I may look online etc., bring it on!

Thanks so much!
#2 of 7 Old 08-28-2002, 10:21 AM

if youre having a lot of kids, maybe you want to get craft kids from oriental trading www.orientaltrading.com

something i've done with my daughter is magic shaker bottles

i use plastic water bottles; fill it approx half with colored water add some glittler, buttons [i put them into a muffin tin], whatever fits into the bottle kind of stuff; top off with baby oil; glue the cap on!!!

you now have a magic shaker bottle. when i was doign this for my daughter's party i had the water colored in advanced so all we had to do was pour it into the kid's bottle

we ran out of time at the party so i didnt actually do this with the kids
#3 of 7 Old 08-28-2002, 02:25 PM

i forgot the thing we're doing at this year's party....

get some ink pads (washable is best with kids)

some index cards

fine point marker

and if you want glue & glitters/jewels/etc.

the kids use their thumb/finger prints to make things like a ladybug; catepillar; flower etc

they can add the jewels/glitter/etc as desired

idea works well without the glue and glitter too
#4 of 7 Old 08-28-2002, 02:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
"Pass the Parcel": You will need a bunch of little cheap toys and/or pieces of wrapped candy, a bunch of tissue paper, and a source of music. Make a small wad of paper, put a toy next to it, cover both of them with another layer of paper, put another toy, make another layer, and keep going until you have a parcel about the size of a football. Have kids sit in a circle and pass the parcel until the music stops, then whoever is holding it gets to unwrap a layer and keep the toy. (Try to stop the music such that each kid eventually wins.)

"Going Fishing": Set up a couch so that the back of it is facing toward the room. Cover the back of the couch with a paper mural of water w/fish swimming in it. (Instead of the couch, you could use anything that will hold up the mural, i.e. taping it across the doorway between rooms.) Make fishing poles using sticks from outdoors and string. One adult supervises a couple of kids standing a few feet from the "water" and casting their lines over it (careful of people standing behind them!) and another adult hides behind the "water" and clips things onto the end of the string using clothespins or paperclips. Give mostly fish (rubber toy ones, cracker ones, candy ones...) but about every 5th kid throw in something unexpected and absurd and act very surprised when they pull it up.

Have fun!

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#5 of 7 Old 08-29-2002, 11:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks moms for all your insight! I really appreciate it. Those were some great ideas.

Have a great weekend!
#6 of 7 Old 09-02-2002, 05:21 PM

For my older son's 3rd birthday party last year we had the kids decorate picture frames. We picked up inexpensive plain wooden frames from IKEA and my son helped me paint them all a pale yellow before the party. At the party we had kids decorate the frames with various dinosaur stamps (his party last and this year was all about dinosaurs, his passion). But you could do the same craft with all kinds of things (sequins, beads, feathers, pom poms to glue on, markers, paint, glitter pens, etc.)

You could also take a picture of your daughter with each birthday guest, and then mail the picture to the friend with the thank-you note.
#7 of 7 Old 09-03-2002, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you KRMOM, that was a fantastic idea. Ava is a serious ballerina, I know it sounds silly to say that , since she's only just now three, but this phase has lasted a long time. She can recite every one of her Angelina books. She has NYCB posters up in her room, lives in her costume, insists daily on ballet music "so she can dance" and performs regularly (for us. Thus, the theme of her party is......

We could make the picture frames a perfect craft for the entire range of ages, and I can accommodate a few ideas there!

Thanks so much.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page