Mommy, Caleb said a BAD WORD! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-30-2002, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, my daughter just started Kindergarten. I LOVE the teacher, love the curriculum, love the classroom, love the school . . . I have been thrilled.

However, I forgot that exposing my daughter to public school is exposing her to things I didn't want her to learn yet. One of those are *ahem*. . . forms of expression.

We went to the grocery after store and as always, we get good talking there. My dd says, "Mom, I heard a bad word in school today." I just kept walking, but in my head I'm thinking, "ALREADY!?!" Anyway, I asked her what was said and after she sort of fumbled around for a while, she said, "Caleb said 'NASS!'"

I repeated it (apparently a little too loud) - "NASS?" I asked her. She said, "MOM!! Not so loud!"
So, I asked her HOW he said it.
"At the playground, he told another boy that he was going to kick his nass."
"OH!" (I got it)
I told her that he wasn't meaning to say "Nass," and I shared with her (after much thought) that he meant to say, "Ass."
She exclaimed, "LIKE HINEY????"
I nodded.
She was quiet, "That is a REALLY bad word momma!"
I agreed by nodding and then, with a little humor, I added, "Yep, and if I ever hear that you said it, I'm going to kick your nass!"

She looked at me and we both cracked up.
It is nice when they turn 5 and you can use a form of smarty humor that would be inappopriate in any other situation.

She 'got' that it was inappropriate, but she also learned that she could confide in me.

It really felt like one of those moments that you catch only once in a while.
#2 of 4 Old 08-31-2002, 06:01 AM

My son also hears his share of bad words at school, but as they are mostly in German, neither he nor I know yet that they are bad.:

About two months ago though he came home quite upset. Some older kids, who knew he speaks English, stopped him and asked how do you say "Fuck You" in English. Sam was quite upset. He said, "I told them I don't know how, but they kept asking!" It was all I could do not to laugh at this. I explained that those words (which he already knows are bad) are indeed English words and not German.
#3 of 4 Old 08-31-2002, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter

Carmen . . . is your family military? What took you to Germany?

I ask because we are military - currently stationed at Ft. Gordon, Augusta, GA.
#4 of 4 Old 09-01-2002, 04:33 AM

We are in the German part of Switzerland and my husband is a teacher in an International School here. We love it!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page