Facts of Life - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 09-04-2002, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,

I need some advice about talking with my soon-to-be 8 year old daughter about the facts of life. Lately, the subject of babies comes up, she wants to know how do they get in there? I've told her the basics, but I don't know how much to tell her. My own mom never really talked the talk, so to speak, and I don't want to repeat that with my own daughter, yet I feel so uncomfortable talking about it. Do I have to tell her all the mechanics about sex? Any book suggestions for me to read? Thanks a lot for any advice.
#2 of 4 Old 09-04-2002, 09:29 PM

The What's Happening to my Body Book for Girls" is really good.

I would just answer whatever questions she has. When it got down to it, I had to tell DD that the man puts the penis inside the vagina and that's how the sperm get inside to fertilize the egg. Yes, I did get a strange "huh" look, lol. But if she is asking, then she wants to know. I would let her questions guide how much you say when.
#3 of 4 Old 09-05-2002, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Arduinna
I would let her questions guide how much you say when. [/B]

I agree.

My almost 5 yr old has been asking lots of questions. From her questions she knows that mommy's egg has to have daddy's sperm to make a baby. She hasn't asked how that happens yet, but when she asks I'll tell her. I think it's best not to let their be any mysteries if they want answers. It will be matter of fact to them and not a big deal. My almost 7 yr old has never pondered such topics or at least hasn't asked about them, but I'll take the same approach with her.

If you live anywhere near a Planned Parenthood, they have some really good classes that parents also participate in. My sister took her daughter and said they were really well done.

Alison
#4 of 4 Old 09-05-2002, 03:29 PM

I highly recommend the book "It's Perfectly Normal" for both you and your daughter (when you feel it is appropriate). Maybe you could read it with her after you've read it yourself. I have found that my kids like to have the book around so that they can reread it whenever they want, even after discussing the issue of the moment with me or dh.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page