smelly armpits - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-12-2005, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What a title!

My dd, age 6, sometimes has smelly, sweaty armpits. I thought this wasn't suppose to happen until puberty?

DH is adopted and of undetermined genetic heritage. Could it be that some ethnic groups are more prone to this? (No one in my family has ever heard of this.) I fear it is her diet of soymilk that has brought this on. She bf for over 4 years, but started drinking soymilk as a toddler.

Any thoughts? Advice? Experience?

edited to say: I don't want a debate about soy! I have been and continue to do research about this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2005, 03:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
No issues yet with my own kids. But, I've been a teacher for kindergarden-age bible school class, and I couldn't believe how smelly some of those kids were. I'm not sure of the exact ethnic heritage of the smelliest kids, but they were caucasian. It was really bad after they came back from recreation time (in the gym or running around outside).

I haven't noticed it with this year's batch of 1st graders, but then it's winter and the kids aren't running around as much.

Underarm stinkiness in a 6 year old probably falls under the category of 'unusual but not unheard of'.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
Old 01-13-2005, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you, Annethcz! That is a bit of a relief.
Old 01-13-2005, 04:52 PM

Definitely not unheard of! My dd is one of those kids who started stinking early. I was very surprised also. Do your dc's feet stink too? dd's do peeeee ewwwwwww!

I doubt it has anything to do with soy because my dd didn't have any soy and she still smells--lol.

She was about 5 when I noticed her body odor. The doc said I could start her on deodorant!!!! I waited a while, but when washing twice a day didn't help the situation I got her a no-aluminum deodorant. Aluminum is really bad for you.

so, there you have it. You're not alone :-)
Old 01-14-2005, 11:08 AM

My older DS is the same way. He's 9 now, but he's been wearing deodorant since he was in kindergarten. It wasn't just the stinky little kid sweat, but regular grown man B.O.! YUCK!

The funny thing is, my DH doesn't smell at all...never does, with no deodorant or anything.

My cousin's little girl is 7 and she's been going through the same thing. She's part Afro-American, my DS is part native American (my side, DH is not), so I don't know if it has anything to do with heritage or not. The soy thing doesn't even come into factor with either one.
Old 01-14-2005, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. I guess it is weird, but not unheard of.

Guess my mama-guilt lever was on overdrive with the soy fears.

Alkenny, I know what you mean about the nature of the smell. It is not that little kid puppy smell, it is B.O. Just too strange coming from a kindergartender.
Old 01-14-2005, 11:45 AM

My dd has not had soy and we noticed this starting this year (age 8). It's probably varied for every child and depends on their activity level and genetics and all that.
Old 01-14-2005, 04:39 PM

My DSD is 8 and she started wearing deordorant a couple of years ago. When she forgets to put it on, she can stink up an entire room!!! It's insane! But I remember using deordorant for the first time when I was really young, too...

Jenn, future midwife, mama to 2 sweet girls (6/05) and (5/07). 
Old 01-17-2005, 10:48 PM
A&A

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Puberty is a long process, and body odor IS part of that process. There are a lot of environmental reasons that girls are going through puberty younger.........rbgh in cow's milk (which we try to avoid), hormone disruptors in plastics, etc. My dd is 7 and has some body odor from time to time.

I read that the "experts" no longer believe signs of puberty to be "early" unless they occur before age 6.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
Old 01-17-2005, 11:08 PM

my understanding is that smelly armpits come from growth of bacteria under the arms. sweating is natural. We use a "deodorant stone"- all natural mineral salt crystal that you rub under your arms like deodorant but w/o the goo and chemicals, its a very old type of deodorant that works great naturally by killing the bacteria!
you can find them in natural health stores or in trader joes (if your lucky tohave one of those nearby!)

homeschooling mama to 8 yr old biggrinbounce.gif with a new little one(5-5-2011) babyf.gif...  h20homebirth.gif

Old 01-19-2005, 06:34 PM

my dd started being stinky under the pits at age 5 1/2....we use talc free powder under her arms. Crabtree and Evelyn make nice but expensive rose scented talc free powder. she also washes her pits..it is alarming at first but she's cool with it, so I just hide the neurotic mommy stuff as best as I can
Old 01-19-2005, 07:09 PM

My ds is six and has BO and we aren't big soy people. Thankfully, it doesn't often smell up a room, but if he goes for a day or two without a bath it gets pretty bad if you're close to him. He uses coast deoderant soap on the pits.

User Tag List