Do you let your kids run around naked at home? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 51 Old 01-30-2005, 09:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
These are our rules about nudity:

Noah is allowed to wear whatever he wants at home, as long as we are alone. Usually he wears nothing, or his PJ`s.
If he wants to help me in the kitchen/sit on the kitchen table e.t.c. he has to wear underwear.

When we have company, he needs to wear clothes. Not much, just enough to cover him up a bit.

*Single, attached Norwegian mama to my LoveBug, 2001*

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 51 Old 01-30-2005, 10:32 AM

We're nakey here, too!

It started when DS was learning the potty. We found the easiest way to go was as much commando time as possible. And now well, at 3 years 3 months, he's 100% PL, but still likes commando! I am starting to insist that he wear undies and pants, if only to teach him that he can keep his pants around his ankles as he goes potty. Right now, if he has to go potty, he'll completely strip wherever he is from the waist down and then go potty. Then it's a hassle to get his underwear and pants back on him! Usually by the late afternoon, I'm so worn out that I just let him run around nakey for the rest of the evening - I don't even bother trying to convince him otherwise.

But I have absolutely no problem with him being naked. Especially when it was something like potty-learning, I felt his nakey-time was more important than guests' comfort. He's not allowed outside naked. If we have company, I figure if they're in our home, they can put up with our "naked" rules, and be okay with a naked boy running around! However, I must also say that our guests are all extended family and close friends. If I had "professional" guests, (such as teaching lessons) I don't know how I would feel about naked freedom! I'd probably insist he at least wear his underwear and a shirt.

Although, when DS was still in the commando stage of learning the potty, our cable went on the fritz so the cable guy came to fix it. DS was wearing a sweater and that was it. When the guy came, I hoped beyond hope that DS would stay in his bedroom, but you know how it goes - the doorbell rings, someone new walks into the house, and he's just gotta be investigated! :LOL So, DS came out, insisted upon a snack, and stood at the coffee table watching the cable guy munching on his food in all his commando glory! I apologized sheepishly, and the cable guy said, "Hey, that's okay! I've got a couple of grandkids the same age and I know how it goes!" So that was pretty cool - at least he wasn't going to report me to DHS for negligence or something... :LOL
#33 of 51 Old 02-01-2005, 12:15 AM

My two sons are almost always naked at home. We're in the stage of PTing ds2, so he's naked most of the time, and ds1 has been a nudist since he was about two. I don't see as a big deal at all. It's their home, and it doesn't do any harm, and if we do have any visitors, I figure that they should be able accept a couple of naked boys wondering around, and respect that they are guests. Both of them become very occupied by their penises when they are naked, but what else do you expect from two little boys?
#34 of 51 Old 02-01-2005, 02:59 AM

I have 2 dd's, age 4 and 6 who are definitely nakey girls. When they get home, they like to strip down to their underwear or go au naturel. I don't really mind unless there are guests over who don't know us very well...the Dominos Pizza delivery guy was kinda shocked once (LOL). My younger dd has no real concept of modesty yet.
I am a little bit nervous because my older dd is turning into an exhibitionist in front of other children. She has been caught several times either lifting up her dress to show off her panties or completely undressing to do her "naked dance." I hope that this doesn't have any implications for any future career choice.
#35 of 51 Old 02-01-2005, 03:05 AM
Banned

DD is 4, and I don't mind as long as she's wearingg underwear.
#36 of 51 Old 02-01-2005, 03:42 AM

I don't think of it as instilling shame in my dd's body, but rather conveying social information. I'm not ashamed of my body, but I don't go naked in front of guests. (I guess I consider knowing this information, from the beginning, less shaming than suddenly way too old -- as I did -- how other people are reacting when I went naked in front of them.) I just tell her matter-of-factly that we have to wear clothes when we're around people we aren't very close to. She used to say, "Why?" And I would say something like, "That's just how it is. Custom." Now she sometimes asks for more detail, e.g. why she can be naked in front of Aunt Nilly but daddy can't. :-) Interestingly, I have noticed that when I *truly* believe what I'm saying, she doesn't push the limit (much). I am honestly and truly convinced that taking your shirt off in the pizza shop isn't done (where unfortunately, I am well aware that certain less desirable behaviors are not only "done" but in my mind quite likely to be done by dd). Boy do I wish I could convince myself that waving a pointy object around is on the same level as exposing oneself!

When there are no guests, we are frequently all completely naked. Dd is even allowed to sit on the kitchen counter that way. This is not at all convenient when someone comes to the door. ("Just a minute!...Be right there!...Um, just one more minute!")

Oye Yemaya oloto
#37 of 51 Old 02-01-2005, 09:26 AM

Absolutely! We're all nakey around here If you come to my house, you have to remember that it's MY house and we're living in it. We encourage people to feel comforatble in our home. If you want to get undressed, please, do so. When we go out, we put on clothes, mainly because of weather. I have been known to go out to my clothesline topless or bottomless on a warm summer day. My boys are 18 months eand 6 yrs and they both run around naked in the house all the time. They're at home! A place of peace and comfort. If they can't be naked at home, where CAN they be naked?
Namaste,
Tara
#38 of 51 Old 02-01-2005, 11:49 AM

My 4yo is developing a sense of modesty. I had to have the "private part" talk with her because I was uncomfortable letting people see her naked at that age. After that she will sometimes be naked but if the UPS man comes by she'll run and put on some undies. I caught our neighbor looking over the fence into our back patio door the other day. Gave me the creeps! I may have to make sure she's more covered more often.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#39 of 51 Old 02-01-2005, 09:12 PM

I am more easy-going when it's just us- especially with potty training- but I do insist that they would be fully dressed when we have company. I have to say, if I went to someone's house and they let their kids run naked when I was there, I doubt I would go back.
#40 of 51 Old 02-04-2005, 12:44 AM

Thanks 4 the laughs. my ds is pt and we are having lots of nakey time. it is nice to hear other moms opinions on it. I think it is so important form my ds to not only have nakey time, but alone nakey time. I mean how can he learn pt if he doesn't know how the equipment works. gotta run to catch the bus.
#41 of 51 Old 02-04-2005, 04:14 PM

My dd is growing out of it now, but she used love to go naked.
#42 of 51 Old 02-05-2005, 05:33 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My 3-year-old is naked at home a lot, or just wearing training pants. I am almost always naked at home before noon. Then I throw something on just in case the mailman comes by.

I don't see any problem with it. I just keep the curtains closed.
#43 of 51 Old 02-05-2005, 08:21 AM

yes.

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#44 of 51 Old 05-12-2005, 04:05 PM
Banned

i let my kids run naked all the time its normal for us 2 year old boy and 7 year old boy
#45 of 51 Old 05-14-2005, 03:58 AM

She's nearly 4 and naked in the house, naked in the backyard, and naked in the front yard. I held two conversations with neighbors today with a naked preschooler playing all around us. They didn't even bat an eyelash over it.

To me, it's normal and fine and she'll learn on her own to keep her clothes on all too soon. Unfortunately, she'll also likely pick up on shame.
#46 of 51 Old 05-14-2005, 06:02 AM

Naked dancing is a regular occurance in our house.
#47 of 51 Old 05-15-2005, 01:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My almost 3 dd and her 3y cousin now actually call their naked time "naked party!" Yesterday they were singing and dancing in circles together for their naked party - actually cavorting and frolicking. I can't imagine not sharing that with guests
#48 of 51 Old 05-15-2005, 11:35 PM

My ds' favorite thing to do is to take a bath, and then when it is time to get out, run off and run around naked with me trying to tackle him with the towel. He is usually dry by the time I get to him.

We have so much video of him playing naked outside with his cousin Peyton. Who needs bathing suits?

We have introduced the concept of privacy and such, but it doesn't seem to affect him yet.
#49 of 51 Old 05-16-2005, 12:11 AM

You bet
#50 of 51 Old 05-17-2005, 06:52 PM

Dd was naked most of the winter, since we spent lots of time indoors. Now that it's warmer, she usually stays at least semi-dressed since we're in and out all the time. I let her go out on our back deck naked since it's sort of private, but I don't allow her out front naked. Not because I think there's anything wrong with it, but because I fear some sicko seeing her. She's so cute when she's running around, dancing and jumping naked. She doesn't think a thing of it. Neither do we! I look forward to the day when ds is doing the same!
#51 of 51 Old 05-17-2005, 07:27 PM

I would, but he hates being naked even in the summertime. Never has liked being in the skinnies...ever.

Mom to two boys, ages 8 and 11, and one blessing due May 8th.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 baby.gif 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page