Night time potty training for 3 year old. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 10-01-2002, 11:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all~

My daughter, who turned 3 last July is fully potty trained during the day, but not at all during the night. T o be truthful, I haven't had the time to think about night time potty training because of the birth of my son last May. things are a bit calmer now that baby ds is almost 5 months old. So I want to get Lainy to stay dry through the night. Anyone have some advice, suggestions? With my older ds we used to wake him up when we went to bed so he could go potty. We also used a point chart with him. I am thinking of doingt hese things again, what do y'all think??
#2 of 3 Old 10-02-2002, 12:47 AM

I think if her body is ready to be dry at night, she will be. I think taking her to the toilet before you go to bed will help, but the point thing seems like it would be difficult since night-peeing isn't something they have control over, and might feel very discouraging if they can't help it.

My two dd's day time potty trained themselves around the age of two -my older one just after she turned two and my younger just before she turned two -but neither of them have ever been dry at night. My older one will be 7 in a month and my younger one is just about to turn 5. While I am sick of pull-ups, I can't imagine trying to force the issue. I figure they will be dry at night when they can make it through the night without having to pee or it wakes them up -they are very heavy sleepers.

I'm not sure what advice to give you except to tread lightly and make sure she's ready -a good clue would be that her diaper is dry most nights. Otherwise it seems like it wouldn't be worth it to try and would be stressful to her.

Goodluck,

Alison
#3 of 3 Old 10-02-2002, 12:53 AM

I think I agree with Alison. Weirdly, both of my children are dry at night, and have been since before they were one year old. Of course, dd isn't potty-trained yet, but she doesn't pee on average until a good 20 minutes after she's awakened most days. DS was dry at night too on his own. In contrast, my niece, who is 5 and just started kindergarten, still wears pull-ups to bed and obviously is not physically ready to be dry at night. You'd think it'd be the opposite with my kids vs. my sister's kids, because it seems like I'm up peeing once or twice every night! lol I really think it's a physical readiness that can be trained, but perhaps with great frustration for everyone? Just my two cents. We'll see how I feel when dd is being "trained". Good luck with your decision.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page