Almost 5 yo still wetting bed - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-14-2005, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My oldest will be 5 in a couple of weeks. He has always wet the bed at night. He went for about a month maybe two at about 4 1/2 years old where he only wet once a week, maybe less. Then back to wetting the bed every night. Please tell me I'm not alone! We've tried limiting drinks after dinner, waking him in the night to pee, diapers, nothing works. Does this just go away? My 3yo was dry thorugh the night at 9 months and has been ever since. Lisa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2005, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I hear that limiting evening drinks doesn't really work.

I wet the bed every day until age 10, so I guess technically it does go away! I hear it's normal for kids to wet until age 7 or so.

At 5, your ds may be old enough to do his own laundry. If you use a waterproof mattress pad and he just throws his sheets and clothes into the wash every morning and gets in the shower, it will all be taken care of. Lots of people wash their sheets and pajamas every morning anyway. Or you can use pull-ups.

Also, even though I had lots of sleepovers as a child, I never wet the bed at a friend's house or when friends were at my house. I also moved back and forth between parents and almost never wet when I was at my dad's house; some people say that stressful situations can worsen bedwetting and it was sure a lot less stressful at my dad's house.

You could also try one of those alarms; I had moderate success with one of those.
Old 03-14-2005, 02:58 PM

I read somewhere that it's hereditary. Dh and I were both late wetters so it's not surprising to us that our 4yo still wets the bed about 50% of the time. I'm not worried about it. I put her in a pull up or diaper at night, and I have her on an air mattress so all I have to do is wipe it clean and put new sheets. Most of the time the pull up holds it all and she just takes off the pull up. If I'm up with the baby I will take her to the potty and that seems to help.

I'm sure that it will get better sometime. I finally stopped wetting after being humiliated at a cousin's sleepover. Age 7.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

Old 03-14-2005, 03:58 PM

My ds is almost 7. He has to wear a pull up every night. He has been out of diapers since right before he turned 2! He just for whatever reason, doesn't wake up when he has to go.
The Natropath, as well as a few different pediatricians have ALL said not to worry about it until at least age 8, so I'm not. We don't even talk about it.
Old 03-14-2005, 04:20 PM

yah, I'd just put him in a pull-up and not make a big deal of it.
Old 03-14-2005, 06:36 PM

According to our Ped "they" don't consider it a problem until appx 12.

DD just started not wearing a night time diaper after she turned six. She has at least one good friend (that we know of) who also wears a pull-up to bed.

Old 03-14-2005, 06:40 PM

you are not alone. my seven year old has never had a dry night in his life. there is not a medical problem.

we plan to start using a bedwetting alarm soon. our ped recommended them and i did some research in the archives here. people have had good sucess.
Old 03-14-2005, 06:54 PM

I am so glad to see this post. DD is 4 1/2 and still wets the bed too. It drives me nuts as I have to wash a full set of bedding every single day, and raise three kids! She can't use Pull Ups and we cloth diaper, and the thought of putting her into diapers again...it would be three in diapers. Sigh...I hope she is outgrowing it soon.

wife - mother - midwife

CIRCUMCISION

The more you know, the worse it gets.

Old 03-14-2005, 07:08 PM

My DD will be 5 next week and has had exactly one (1!) dry pullup in her entire life.

I don't talk about it with her, she obviously can't control it.
Old 03-14-2005, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

Wow! thank you soooooo much for responding!! So glad to hear that there are others and that things are normal. He was in cloth diapers until about three, maybe three and a half, just didn't quite fit and had leaks. Then we tried pull ups for a while until he complained that they hurt so he goes without anything and just wash bed and jammies every day. I dont' make a big deal out of it but dh soemtimes does. I don't know why but it seems to bug him that he has to deal with the sheets and wet bed some of the time. DS1 sleeps next to dh so if he wets that bed dh gets wet too-uck. I was startign to wonder if maybe it was an allergy or something that we were doing or not doing that was contributing to it.

I also never thought about the humiliation of sleep overs I guess just because we aren't to that part of life yet. Boy, I hope that doesn't happen, how sad! Just another worry as a parent!

Thanks again for the support and replies!!
Old 03-14-2005, 07:27 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
My suggestion is to put him in absorbant underwear overnight and not worry about it. He'll outgrow it eventually.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
Old 03-14-2005, 10:26 PM

I have to really marvel at your patience - I would have gone bonkers if I had to change and wash the sheets, blankets, mattress cover and pajamas every day! My DD went through a several week phase where she was wetting through her pullups and I had to keep changing the sheets, etc. - I was going batty after just a few weeks!

My girl is really too big for Pullups so I need to correct my previous post - she is in disposable underwear.
Old 03-14-2005, 10:33 PM

My 3rd child just turned 6 and has the same problem. We don't make a big deal about it, she wears a pull-up (and she weighs 52 lbs.) every night, has a mattress protector under her sheet (from Walmart) and we wash sheets as needed.

One of her doctors suggested the alarm or medicine, but really, why stress about it? Why stress the kids about it? Why terrify them with an alarm waking them up in the middle of the night.

they will grow out of it, until then, just adapt and adjust.
Old 03-15-2005, 12:01 AM

No, evidently some kids do not grow out of it without help. We have never had 1 dry night.

We do not stress about it, but it is starting to make HIM uncomfortable. He wants to do something about it. A friend calling him diaper boy did not help...

The alarms come with a vibrate mode as well. It does not sound traumatic from what I have read in the archives here. If is is we would back off.
Old 03-15-2005, 12:14 AM

Quote:
She can't use Pull Ups and we cloth diaper, and the thought of putting her into diapers again...it would be three in diapers.
Have you tried a pocket pull-up (like Happy Heiney's)? You'd only be adding a cover and a stuffer each day, really not much of a problem at all. They also come in pretty big sizes.

Good luck all!

Old 03-15-2005, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmama
No, evidently some kids do not grow out of it without help. We have never had 1 dry night.

We do not stress about it, but it is starting to make HIM uncomfortable. He wants to do something about it. A friend calling him diaper boy did not help...

The alarms come with a vibrate mode as well. It does not sound traumatic from what I have read in the archives here. If is is we would back off.
Wolfmama, would you mind sharing your source for this alarm? My DD is also beginning to become uncomfortable about it and I know it is not because of things we have said to her, it is just peer pressure. I have been kicking around the idea of helping her solve try to solve the problem if she asks me so I'd like to be prepared....
Old 03-15-2005, 09:46 PM

To the op:

Please don't worry too much at this point. My dd is 5yo (Nov 14) almost 5 1/2 and she just started staying dry about 2 mos. ago. (My 3rd dc to go through potty-learning and become dry at night BTW)

She is a very deep sleeper is the main thing--needing to pee did not wake her up. I think that kids that have a difficulty like this often reach a point when they simply have a large enough bladder that they almost never need to wake to pee at night. But sometimes she does wake and go to the bathroom now. So that more mature ability has been developing also.

Anyhow, it was very worrisome as my dd passed her fifth birthday, but without any intervention she is now having maybe one accident per month and that feels normal enough to give me peace of mind.

ME&treehugger.gifHE... loving our: wild.gifdd(18) ~~violin.gifds(13) read.gifdd(13)~~ peace.gifdd(10)

Old 03-15-2005, 10:08 PM

I was a bed wetter until 9-10 (((((((((((HUGS)))))))))) to both of you. I will tell you I did grow out of it.

There is more medical options today. PLease check out askdrsears.com about bedwetting he has some wonderful tips.
Old 03-15-2005, 10:50 PM

LoveBeads,

Check out www.bedwettingstore.com. The Malem is kinda the gold standard of alarms from what I can tell. They sell them cheaper on ebay. Definately less expensive options though.

I will try and find the threads I looked at before that discussed them as a gentle approach and bump them up. BTW, I would not recommend this prior to six.

marsupialmom, thanks for that big hug and i'll check that out.
Old 03-16-2005, 12:36 AM

Thanks Wolfmama!
Old 03-16-2005, 01:12 AM

my dd is 5 still wetting bed she went about 3 or 4 months no wetting the bed last summer school started and back in bed wetting boat tried everything i feel you
Old 03-16-2005, 12:32 PM

My son wet the bed until he was almost 7. He is almost 9 now, and still has the occasional accident. Limiting his drinks at night never really worked well. The thing that I found that did help a bit was to try and wake him up right before I went to bed and make him pee. And to keep from having to wash sheets everyday, I had him wear "Good-Nights". At first he didn't like having to wear them but, when he noticed that his sheets were wet, and cold anymore he didn't mind so much.

My DD is almost 5. (apr 12) She will have an occasional accident, and when she is sick or extra tired I have her sleep in one of her sister's Pull-ups. And my youngest DD is 3 and wears Pull ups to bed, but in regular underwear during the day.

I think that it is totally normal, and it is just something that he will eventually outgrow. Just be patient, and give him extra praise when he does wake up dry.

Christina:~Student mama to Collyn(13), Haylea-Ann (9):, and Natalie (8) , and SO to Jeff.
Old 03-16-2005, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
A child who does not want to wear pull-ups or other kinds of underwear can keep a stack of towels next to the bed, and if wetness wakes him up, can just put a towel down on top of it. Then the towels can be thrown in the wash with everything else in the morning.
Old 03-16-2005, 08:38 PM

(waving HI! to RunningMommy)
Check out the other thread on enuresis that I posted a while back.
Feel free to give me a call or an email - we are dealing with this with Keithen who is 6 years old now. Currently giving chiropractic a try.
Old 03-18-2005, 01:44 AM

my son just turned 6, ad still wets the bed sometimes. he wouldn't not wera a pullup, and felt it was punitive, so we didn't want to do that. we didn't want him to feel like he did something wrong. so i washed sheets a lot. untill i found this things called "all night pants" i got them www.babyworks.com they are like 25 bucks a pair, but if he has na accident in bed they hold EVERYTHING in, no wet sheets, no wet jams. they saved our life!
Old 03-18-2005, 02:04 AM

my 8 year old has the same problem, and I thank God for Goodnights disposables. Those big night time pull ups are a great thing for her. They do hold every leak--and work great. She even went on a sleep over, and no one knew she had it on. She took the old one home in a large ziplock bag I packed for her, and no one was the wiser.

I agree a good urologist may be in order, but other than that he may just need to grow out of it. The urologist we saw for my daugher was not surprised when I told him I wet till 14--he said it is much more common than you would think. My mom wet till 12, and her mom did too--so I know it is hereditary.

Good luck,
Lisa
Old 03-18-2005, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

Tahnk you so much for all the support and information!! I will be investigating the Good Nights and the links, thank you!

Hi back at you Carrissa!

Maggie315, what size pull up is your daughter wearing at 52lbs? My son is around 46lbs and the sizes just dont' seem to fit him well.

I have to say taht the other day we talked about him needign to change his sheets and get into the shower in the morning and he happily woke up the next morning announcing without feeling bad, that he had wet the bed so he needed to change the sheets and that he needed to get into the shower. He then took a great shower, getting out on his own when I told him one minute so he could "save me some hot water"-what a cutie!!

Thanks for the vote of patience, LoveBeads and others, I just dont' even realize it has been this long until his birthday is coming up and it hit me. I just figure it to be part of life for us even though his brother stayed dry through the night at about 9 months and potty trained completely on his 2nd birthday. I sure hope my third follows the second! :LOL

thanks again, I'll keep at it!
Old 03-18-2005, 05:05 PM

These are the kinds we use (my daughter is around 69 pounds):

http://www.goodnites.com/na/bedwettinginfo/index.asp

They are Goodnites and fit VERY well. There is some info on bedwetting there too. I can't even imagine having to wash the sheets every morning! The Goodnites only have leaked a few times in the past several years, so it is nice not to have to deal with that aspect.

My daughter has a friend who wears them too (also 8) so she knows she is not alone. I think it is important to point out to our kids that sometimes their bodies just need more time to develop--making more hormone to control the urine or growing their bladder more or whatever.
Old 03-22-2005, 03:46 AM

Our 4.5 y.o. dd still pees at night too. She's outgrown pull-ups so we use the size small Goodnights. They're very similar to pull-ups, just bigger. It would drive me crazy to wash bedding every single day, so this is what works best for us. I'm also glad to hear that it's common. I always just assumed her bladder was small and still growing, like the rest of her. She seems to have more accidents when she's hit a growth spurt. Lots of talking + Lots of eating + tantrums + accidents = growth spurt.

hang.gif  

Old 03-22-2005, 04:01 AM

My little sister wet the bed until she was ten. It was nightly up until about 7, and weekly after that. It was very hard/sad for her and us. We tried *everything* (well, no meds). The only cause/cure we didn't consider that has now been suggested was nighttime seizures. Like a pp mentioned, she never wet the bed at sleepovers or when she slept in other family member's beds (usually the second 1/2 of the night, after she'd already wet). My cousin also wet the bed until he was an older child; we've wondered if there might be some kind of genetic link.

User Tag List